Chapter 23: Truthful Beginnings

Gabi

"You are one lucky girl, Gabi." Sasha grinned.

Gabi just swiped the letter from her hand. Luck. What a strange thing to call it.

In the passing few days, her fate was left dangling in the hands of devils – something that should make her freak out more than it admittedly had. With the laws regarding child soldiers being non-existent on Paradis, and only held in prison for holding, Sasha had happily reported Hange's success in changing Gabi's custody.

"Now, you can't run off from our property, and... you know. Don't break any laws, generally speaking. I think there were a few other things but, that's most of it." Sasha rambled, clearly having no idea what she was saying. "Also! Before I go back to headquarters, I wanted to ask. Would you... want to see Falco again?"

"Yeah." She forced the words out quick, before turning on her heel.

Sasha continued to talk on as Gabi walked away without another word, taking the letter with her to her room. A new hunch formed at whom it was from.

Julia, the brunette who kept insisting on becoming her 'best friend', wanted to stop her for a chat, who she quickly brushed past. Her cheesy jokes were never funny anyway; the only one that 'liked' them was her stuffed bear.

The bed squeaked as she sat down. Anticipation swelled as she tore the envelope open and unfolded the letter. Falco's familiar handwriting greeted her, small as usual, but significantly neater, easier to read than his ordinary.

She read quickly. It had no important information. With only three paragraphs, it seemed generic in it's comforting nature, asking to talk to her about everything in person. It sounded just a bit too formal, the sentences stiff and perfectly punctuated in a way neither of them normally did.

Gabi had expected answers, not a promise for answers. With a huff, she leaned back. The most annoying part? She knew he was right. Having a conversation like that over letters would be a pain.

A knock sounded at her door, accompanied by Kaya's voice asking to come in. Gabi's mouth parted already, ready to deny her – and then stopped. She stood up. The letter slipped into the small bedside draw, she turned back to the still closed door. No one ever opened the door without her say so. It seemed an unspoken rule in this house, for anyone's room. It was different in her home. Somehow, it made her feel grown up. Sasha said it was to be considerate of everyone's trauma and personal space.

So many things, even the details, didn't make sense about this place. They are devils. No matter how much she increasingly had to remind herself of that, she wouldn't falter.

Because if they weren't, then – no, none of those thoughts either.

Both Reiner and Falco were acting in their hometowns best interest. As long as she could believe that, she could at least try to understand their methods, even if she was yet to decide what her own would be.

Gabi quickly stomped over to Kaya, opening the door and listening to her words. They are devils. Don't think about it. Kaya's talking now, focus on her. Her brain refusing to obey, lingering on these useless thoughts – which had to be the devil's influence – so fight it!

***

Falco

Somehow, Sasha's plan – at least the first part – actually came to fruition.

Falco could barely comprehend what he was seeing as he rode by her and Eren to the farm. Gabi, amongst others their age, tending to horses in an open field. Not murdering. Her back was turned, facing a blonde girl who seemed to be talking.