Chapter 21: Purpose

Gabi

In the forest, Gabi stumbled upon a path.

Eyebrows knitted together, she looked both ways – though it winded too much to see further than a ten or so meters each way.

After running all night, parched and in serious need of a moment of respite, this was all she had. A village or even a lone farm would give her some food and water. After that, she would find a way to locate and rescue Reiner. With those devils surely torturing him for information, there was no time to waste.

Stepping out from the thicket, Gabi made her decision. She could take an average civilian if they got too close. The presented path was easier on her weary feet, the dirt track offering few surprise tree roots or thicket to trudge through.

Her ears spiked to the sound of footsteps. Halting, she listened carefully.

A bark. No chatter. Steady footsteps, likely only the one person.

Through the winding path, their eyes met.

A blonde girl stared back at her, stopping dead, two dogs by her feet without leashes. The girl looked her over once, wide eyed.

"What are you doing here?" The devil asked. "Are you lost?"

Around them, the branches looked to flimsy for anything useful. Rocks under her feet, the larger ones scattered around the path, seemed to be her best bet. She'd just have to wait for her opportunity for such. The dogs could easily be kicked away.

"I don't want to say... I just ran from my home. I couldn't live there anymore." No other footsteps approached. They were alone. Gabi stepped towards the girl, slow, certain.

The blonde didn't back away. As Gabi took another few steps forward, she finally spoke. "I see. Then, would you like to come with me? We'll be having breakfast soon."

Gabi faltered. She had to repeat the devils words in her head to make sense of it as a brief temptation flickered at the idea of a filled stomach. She snuffed that out immediately. A devil would not be so kind.

"I would like that." Her stomach twisted as she forced the words from her mouth. Wondering down the path would waste time she couldn't afford. Any opportunity, she must take. For Reiner.

"Don't worry. It's not far." The girl turned sideways, waiting for Gabi to walk towards her, the devil not trusting her enough to turn fully. Gabi stalked forwards, though she would not walk in front, as the devil wanted.

When she was a few steps away, the devil turned, walking first. Gabi's steps faltered. The girl took the lead easily, not glancing over her shoulder as she re-tread her previous path. At Gabi's feet, the black and white dogs sniffed curiously, tails wagging quickly as they trailed after the two.

"My name is Kaya." Kaya finally glanced back to her.

"...Katie."

"That's a nice name."

"Thanks." With that, the conversation trailed off. After a lapse of silence, Kaya glanced back at her.

"I was wondering. What's that thing on your arm?"

"It's a religious thing." Gabi reached to grab her armband, staring her down through hooded eyes. "It's very precious to me. Don't touch it."

"Alright." No further questions came.

The silence resumed for the rest of the short trek. With the devils back turned and keeping a good distance from her, Gabi managed to shock a sizeable rock into a pocket upon her long hoodie.