Chapter 17: Reflection

Eren

"An island devil? Could it be true?" The whisper was one amongst many. In the crowd of civilians, Eren waited. Behind the stage, just out of sight, a crowd of Eldians listened in. Marleyan guards were scattered around, holstering guns as an undisguised threat to keep their volume lowered.

Yelena was with them, just out of sight.

"Perhaps it's a hoax?" Another said.

"What does it matter? It can only be bad news." A third voice griped distain lay bare.

It was all that Eren expected. It was all Eren chose. 'For them. Don't forget that.' Something he'd reminded himself of all morning.

"Do not be concerned - I'll make this clear. We are not here to instigate a war. We do not abide by our bloodied past and wish to start anew – unlike what Marley and their war trodden path." Armin's voice projected across the internment zone, loud and clear, projecting every syllable and every infliction. "There will be no violence. There will be no bloodshed. You are safe – the only thing I ask of you is less than five minutes of your time, from a hundred years of silence."

A new presence that shuffled next to him, and Eren turned to meet the blue eyes that stared down condescendingly.

The blond speaks first. "Brother."

Eren doesn't turn. "Shouldn't you be waiting by the gate?"

"I wouldn't want to be too far from the main stage, now would I?" It's an obvious taunt. Armin's voice still fills the air, unaware of the new danger.

"Come with me." Eren turned heel, walking away.

He got a curious, "Oh?" And Zeke followed behind. Eren left to be a few houses down, where fewer soldiers guarded, and to an outside staircase. Even so far, Armin's voice stayed so loud in his mind. 'Armin, Mikasa... even now-'

In the distance, the hum of a Zeppelin reached his ears. They must be here. Else they would never be. Falco, he must have warned them in time.

On the flight away from the roof, Zeke stopped.

"Eren." He calls. "It's time."

Eren walked a few more steps, stopping as the cold breeze reaches him. With it, a new sound carried to his ears.

"Indeed, brother."

A deep thump. The familiar blast of gas. Eren turned to see Zeke slammed into the wall – "GAG HIM!"

A pale hand does so, the force knocking Zeke's head against brick with a deep thump. Levi takes his gun out, thumping it hard into the man's head.

Zeke crumpled to the floor as his mouth was released, unconscious.

Unclipping rope from his side, his Captain tied the man's hands behind his back. Even with eyes to the Beast, his voice directly stabbed into him. "Eren."

"Captain." he returned, quick to explain, "I didn't intend for this."

Levi roughly shoved a ball of cloth in Zeke's mouth, secured in position with more rope. His words were just as violent, even when controlled. "You'd best hope not."

Leaving Zeke slumped, Levi approached, rope in hand.

Eren did not bemoan the rope fastening over his wrists tightly. "When we get back to the Zeppelin, you'll be tied up. Then you'll be in a cell before your court hearing."

The scratchy rope upon him was his own choice. What a strange thought. In his remaining years, it would never leave. Without the rumbling, this was his future.