Chapter 19: Reunited

One Week Prior....

Falco

Falco stared at his reflection.

His hand was slow, trembling as it pressed upon his back. Fingers barely contacted his skin as they moved up to his neck and down his upper arm.

Empty. Wrong.

His mind simply couldn't comprehend it.

He... should be happy... shouldn't he? Wasn't this a chance to move on? Arthur Grice left not a trace on his skin.

Yet, no such elation swelled in his chest. He did not feel the urge to smile. Only stare.

Empty. Wrong.

Would this ever feel right? Those scars that were his eternal warning, his reminder and now all had been simply erased. He never wanted nor asked for those scars. Each vivid memory of his mind no longer lined up with his own body. No one would know. Of his past, of his present or future, no marks could permanently scar him aside from death.

The cell was cold and quiet. He stared a minute longer.

With a grimace, he tore his gaze and put his shirt back on. He felt so lost, so strange.

He'd eaten Zeke. He'd betrayed his hometown. He'd betrayed Colt, betrayed Gabi. He'd become a titan shifter.

An echoed clanking sounded. He swivelled, listening closely as the footsteps grew nearer. No other prisoners were close by; they must be coming for him.

He steeled himself, tried to shake his nerves. Even if he didn't know what to feel, he knew what not to.

***

"Uhm, Miss Mikasa?" Falco tried, hesitant.

The woman was slow to answer, not turning to face him as he continued to trail her down the stairs. He hoped he didn't offend her by using her first name... even if she asked him too, he couldn't tell if it annoyed her. He pictured her stone-faced, (really, he had no other expression to picture) tired of him asking yet another question.

"What is it?" she asked, voice giving nothing away.

"I... I was just wondering. I'm thankful you're doing so much for me... but why is that?" There, he said it. He both felt relief and even more suspense.

It had been a few days since Falco had awoken – the new holder of the Beast Titan. Since then, he'd had more stern talks than his parents nor superiors had ever given. One official after the next appeared to give him anything from useful information or just to unload their unrequested opinion upon him. Finally just an hour prior, he had been called to the Premier's office, where he'd been given the final verdict.

He would be allowed to keep the Beast Titan – however, he would stay under the constant supervision of Mikasa Ackerman, on orders to restrain him if he ever tried to harm anyone, so that he would be eaten.

Falco did not understand how Paradis chose their shifters. Marley would certainly have never allowed such a thing. For the verdict, he could only be thankful.

Only, one part he found himself hung up upon; Mikasa Ackerman had suggested she could supervise him. Straight after, she had asked if he wished to visit his friend in the prison. The boy readily agreed, though confused.

Mikasa was no quicker to answer that than before. Only this time, she looked back at him, slowing her pace slightly. They'd reached the courtyard now, heading toward a few tired up horses.