EIGHT

Word Count: 1827

~Aspen

I stare blankly up into those dark eyes of his, wondering, despite his seriousness, if he is teasing me.

"What?" I whisper.

Kastriv lets out a long breath. "I know...I've seen this woman since I was a child, so you can imagine my horror when I first laid eyes on you."

I hadn't noticed...Although that attentive eyes of his always troubled me. It were as if he was looking at me like he knew me, knew my secrets.

And now this?

"How is that possible?" My stomach churns dangerously, threatening to have me throwing up at his feet. He's seen my face, as it is now, far before it had even developed?

He doesn't need to utter it. This is magic. This is fate.

"I still don't fully understand most spirits. Others that can communicate with me do not understand it either," he explains.

I rest my hands on my chest, as if I can physically clutch my soul, to prove it belongs to me and now some spirit. "She appears as me before I was even me."

He nods grimly. "I wish I knew why."

This is too much. Kastriv has revealed that I am a Demon, and now he is telling me he see's a spirit version of me...This is all too much for me to bear.

"I need to go," I insist.

I move toward the door, but he grabs my arm, pulling me to a stop.

"Don't run. I'm nothing to fear, I can assure you. This may just be some messed up coincidence," he assures me, although I'm not convinced.

Kastriv and I are linked...Whether either of us wish to admit it or not.

"What if it's a sign?" I ask, trying not to look down to where Kastriv's hand is wrapped around my arm, grip firm. From this close, it's impossible to disregard his brooding stature.

Kastriv moves his hands to hold my shoulders. "It's not, okay? We have more to worry about right now then some rampant spirit."

"I can't let this go, Kastriv," I murmur.

He inclines his head, which is now only mere inches from mine. My breath involuntarily hitches, feeling each individual finger of his, and the way they press into my shoulder, making me wish for no sleeves.

"Spirits taunt me often. Not all respect me, and many lie, or attempt to trick me..."

His attempts to rationalise this aren't quelling my fear. He scans my face, feeling my fear. Is the spirit near, watching, seeing me? It's a horrifying thought.

"This doesn't feel like a taunt," I whisper.

Kastriv's sable gaze falls to my lips. "Whatever it is, I'll figure it out, okay?"

Rolling my shoulders, I push out of his grip, striding to the door.

"I need to get back..." I soften my tone, fearful he won't see how grateful I am for his artful stich up of my wound. But I must return to Oliver, whether I want to or not.

My throat tightens, seeing the pain expression he suddenly sports. "I shouldn't let you. I should keep you here, make sure he can't hurt you anymore."

"The longer I wait the worse it will be. I need to go."

Kastriv exhales roughly, shaking his head. I suppress a shudder at the thought of him keeping me here.

"There is transportation at the front of my house. It will take you wherever you desire," he eventually concedes, jerking his head to the door.