TWENTY EIGHT

Word Count: 2313

~Aspen

I stare at Kastriv's face as he gazes out the window of our transport.

He looks handsome, with his hair swept back, making the strong lines of his face more prominent. He's dressed in a black suit, matching his eyes.

He looks...intimidating.

He can be so sweet to me that at times I forget he is a Noble, that he is powerful in his own right. But considering we are going to a ball that Oliver has told us to attend, I can tell he isn't going to be his usual self.

"This is absolutely ridiculous," I mutter, smoothing my hands down my dress. It's simple, but pretty. I just want to blend in and get this over with.

Kastriv looks over me. My skin flushes under his scrutiny, as if he is undressing me with his eyes.

"If it's any consolation you look incredible."

I smile tightly, wishing his compliments were enough to put me at ease. "He's doing this to save his reputation. He's been made a fool of and he wants to take control again."

Making me out to be Kastriv's pet is yet another sick way he's trying to ruin my life to benefit his. I don't belong to anyone, and Oliver hates it that Kastriv is kind to me, that he treats me as an equal when he Oliver has never.

"This is better than him revealing what you are. Everyone would turn against you," Kastriv reminds me solemnly.

I lean my head back against the cushioned seat. "I know..."

"It's just one night. One ball, and we will make it clear to him that this won't happen again." His surety does make me feel better, and there is a look on his eyes that suggests he isn't going to put up with this for long.

I sigh through my nose. "So what's the story again?"

"He said in the letter that he is going to claim that I bought you off him. That I'm using you at his desire in exchange for my resources," he reminds me, the edge of frustrating glimmering in his eyes.

"This is beyond fucked up," I mutter, looking out the window.

It's dark out already. Kastriv transported us back to Territory One, where we hopped into our transport and are now on the way to the Great Hall, where Oliver has hosted balls in the past.

Kastriv leans forward, reaching out to grab my hand. "You don't belong to me, you know? You are your own person, and if it's too much..."

"No, it's fine. You better be good at acting." The edges of my lips quirk up. Even though I am nervous, it will be amusing to see how Kastriv acts.

He tilts his head back and forth. "I've done it before."

The wheels suddenly stop, and when I look out the window, I realise we have arrived.

I tighten my grip on Kastriv's hand. "Come on then."

We don't have to show an invitation or anything as we make our way to the front entrance. Everyone is aware of exactly who Kastriv is, and even who I am, considering it is my husband who is hosting this event.

Instead of holding my hand, Kastriv has his arm tightly wound around my waist, pressing me to his hip as we walk in.

To everyone looking at us, it is clear that whatever is going on between us isn't entirely innocent.

Inside, there are far too many people for anyone in particular to be interested in us.

I forget Oliver is an important politician, who knows a lot of people. It's just too bad none of them know the real him.