TWENTY NINE

Word Count: 1794

~Aspen

Panic sets into the deepest parts of me, as I take in the Demon who has suddenly appeared.

Kastriv freezes, taking in the new arrival as well. Boldly, Keo continues to hold out his hand, only looking at me.

I nod for Kastriv to go sit down. This isn't exactly and offer I'm allowed to refuse, unless I want to risk him making a scene, which in itself, would expose me.

"I'll kill you," Kastriv mutters as he brushes him.

Keo merely waves his hand dismissively. "Yeah, I'm sure you will."

My throat tightens as he takes my hand in his, cold skin brushing against mine. Resting his palm on the small of my back, he presses me against him, my entire body going stiff as a result.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss lowly as we sway gently to the beat.

Keo smiles at me, a single dimple appearing on his left cheek. In another universe I may have found him attractive, since objectively he is.

But I know better than anyone here that what darkness festers in his soul makes him vile beyond comprehension.

"I couldn't miss such an incredible party," he muses, looking around at the people around us who start to slowly back away at the sight of him, trying not to make it obvious.

"I get the feeling things like this don't impress you," I mumble.

His smile is pure venom. "Nothing impresses me."

I scrunch my nose up, wondering if I should stomp on his toes. It would be worth it, unless he tires of me and finally decides to end my life.

"There are Angel-bloods everywhere," I note. "Aren't you scared?"

"You really think anyone is capable of hurting me?" He sounds serious, as if questioning the extent of his power is demonstrably offensive.

"I can't tell if you're arrogant or correct."

I know he is correct. His bare skin touches mine, and through that feeling, is a connection. It's bare, primal. We are cut from the same stone, originating from a race of people that are almost extinct.

Whether I like it or not, him and I are connected. And through that, I can feel the hum of his hidden power, how is yawns against his skin, begging to be let out to wipe us all off this dance floor.

"Both, actually." He doesn't smile now, looking through the crowd toward where Oliver may still dwell. "They all assume I'm in hiding, that they can't track me down."

I shiver, wondering if Kastriv has gone to alert anyone, or if he is watching from nearby.

"Trick is, I'm brazen enough to mingle amongst their closest circles that they don't expect it," he tells me.

I sigh tiredly. "What do you want, Keo?"

"I like the way people are staring, wondering who you are, why I'm with you," he exclaims lowly in my ear, nodding at those who have yet to retreat, that blatantly stare.

I quickly look away, ashamed.

Keo leans closer, until his lips close to my ear. "They are wondering if you're a Demon, like me."

The way he says that word. Demon. He makes it sound as if we are Gods, above everyone else.

"People are terrified of you. Half the room is gone," I note. There's an obvious gap between Keo and I dancing and the rest of the crowd. Most are too curious to leave now, wanting to see what the Demon will do to the hosts wife.