THIRTEEN

Word Count:

~Aspen

As if he can sense me, his eyes draw up, pinning me through the window.

I freeze, unsure of what to do.

Slowly, his lips turn up into a cruel, dark smile.

There is nothing for me to do. I can't run, I can't hide...But I can face him.

Stalking to the door, I snap the lock off, opening it a crack. With purposeful steps, Keo comes toward the door, stopping on the short wooden porch.

"It's you..." I whisper, clutching the door tightly.

He's far more striking in person than I could have ever imagined. His eyes are so green, so absolutely pure they knock my resolve back a bit.

But it is quickly reconstructed, as I consider how terrifying he is. A true, almost pure Demon is a sight to behold, and it's clear by how he holds himself, he knows it.

"Of course it's me, who else would come into the middle of nowhere, where you just happen to be?" he says, that smile telling me more than just blatant amusement.

He is not to be trusted.

"What do you want, Keo?" I question. My voice wavers, but for the most part I manage to sound confident.

"I've come to collect you," he muses.

I shake my head in wonder. "Collect me? Absolutely not."

My mind starts conjuring up frightful thoughts. How much magic does he truly have? Under those black gloves, I imagine hands capable of inflicting horrific amounts of pain.

He tilts his head, taking a quick step at me. "I could just come in and grab yah."

I go to rear back, to slam the door closed, but I stand strong, knowing that he wouldn't have wasted time with small talk were he able to snatch me and transport me away.

So, I let the door fall entirely open. "You would have already..."

"Hmm, pesky ward, huh? Seems that Noble wants to protect you," he muses, leaning against the porch's railing, dragging his gaze over me.

I shift uncomfortably, feeling my cheeks heat. "He's trying to keep me from you, because you're evil."

"Evil? That hurts." He rests his hand against his chest in mock pain.

My eyes roll. "I'm not going with you."

I would never dream of stepping from the home Kastriv has magically protected to take his hand, allowing him to whisk me away, although a spark of curiosity blooms from within me.

What would his intentions be with me?

Keo clears his throat, a rather human reaction for such an otherworldly man. "I apologise, I don't mean to mess around when this is obviously such a sensitive matter, but we need to go, and quickly."

"Why should I go with you?" I question, folding my arms over my chest.

"Because you and I are the same. We are Demon's, and there are others like you." I try not to react. I'm here, doing a job for Kastriv that includes finding Demon's.

But what is it worth if it means communicating with Keo to get to them?

"You're not like the other Demon's...You've killed. A lot," I exclaim uncomfortably. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to take off those gloves, he would reveal hands stained with blood.

Keo takes a long time to answer, the soft, flower scented breeze ruffling his dark curls. Below his jaw, down the side of his neck, is a picture, or perhaps a collection of pictures that are impossible to decipher in the darkness.