Part 5

Karan looked away from the rainy road to steal a glance at Tejasswi. She was curled up in the passenger seat of his Rover. Her dark long lashes rested against her cheeks.

The sight of her sleeping, her face looking so serene, created odd sensations in his heart that he could not name. He could not help but brush the back of his fingers across her face with a feather like soft caress. God had blessed her with the softest skin, and the loveliest of all the lovely cheeks. He had a genuine fear of biting a little too hard one day and scarring her. She was just too much for him at times... He often felt like he must have tricked her into marrying him because there was no way she could actually be his.

Karan sighed loudly. "Teja, utth jaa baby. I miss you. Kab tak soyegi?" he muttered, knowing she wouldn't hear a word of his. The thought of waking her up crossed his mind, then he decided to let her sleep. She would probably want him to make stops for food or restrooms again if she is awake. In this weather, that would not be ideal.

They had been on the road for a little more than four hours, already he had made three stops for food, one stop for iced coffee— which she didn't consider food. She took a few sips of the coffee before making him drink the whole thing. Ever since she became pregnant, coffee was one of the many things she had given up on as precaution. 

Karan pitied her, at the same time, admired her incredible resolve. He didn't think he could give up on his daily chai, his cigarettes. He couldn't imagine giving up any of the things she had given up thus far, and will probably have to give up in the near future. The thoughts made his chest feel heavy with guilt.

He felt guilty for the way he could eat almost anything he wanted and she couldn't. She could only take a bite or two before her body refused to take in more. Her mind still craved food, her body rejected. He felt guilty for the way he could still enjoy different activities, but her plans were thwarted by her physical state. He felt guilty for the way he was still able to work, but she had to drop out of her current projects, and forgo future ones — which they had both been excited about. Those projects were meant to take her to the next level of her goal.

Karan let out an aggravated long breath. One day at a time, he reminded himself. He will figure all this out for both of them. She wouldn't have to lose out on anything in the long run. She will bounce back. He had absolute faith in her. Besides, he firmly believed life has a way of taking you where you needed to be, at the right time. Teju's time will come— he was certain of that.

He tried to focus on the wet road and his plans for today. As her reward for finally opening up to him, she had asked him to take her on a road trip, to any place of his choosing. It didn't matter to her where, she just needed to get out and breathe again she had said. He hesitated to take her out when she wasn't feeling her best. However, in the end she won by making a strong appeal.

They had taken several vacations together, eighty to ninety percent of them were work trips so not true getaways. They had never done a road trip. This disappointed Karan. They had discussed taking road trips together since the earliest days of their friendship. In the end, both of them had prioritized work over these things. Teju reminded him they might not be able to go for a while, if they don't do it now.

Once Karan decided to give in to her request, he knew exactly where he wanted to take her. He didn't tell her where he would take her. He even went the extra mile to pack her bags himself so he wouldn't have to reveal any information. She would find out soon enough from looking at the road signs.

He glanced at her again. Only about half of her adorable face was peeking out, the rest was covered by his oversized jacket. He missed her. He missed her despite the fact she was right there beside him. He slowly cranked up the volume of AP Dhillon's Insane until it was ready to burst his eardrums. He cleared his throat and called her name. There was no reaction from her end, nothing.