Chapter 8: "Breaking" Onto the Princess Andromena

***

Percy and I were staring at each other when Annabeth and Tyson arrived.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked. "I heard Lillian calling for help!"

"Me, too!" Tyson said. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'"

"I didn't call you guys," I said. "We're fine."

"But then who..." Annabeth noticed the yellow duffel bags, then the thermos and the bottle of vitamins Percy was holding. "What-"

"Just listen," I said, playing with my charm bracelet. "We don't have much time."

Percy and I took turns telling them about the conversation with Hermes. By the time I was finished, I could hear screeching in the distance. Patrol harpies picking up our scent.

"Guys," Annabeth said, "we have to do the quest."

"We'll get expelled, you know. Trust me, I'm an expert at getting expelled." Percy told her.

"So? If we fail, there won't be any camp to come back to."

"Yeah, but you promised Chiron-"

"I promised I'd keep you from danger. I can only do that by coming with you! Tyson can stay behind and tell them-"

"I want to go," Tyson said.

"No!" Annabeth's voice sounded close to panic. "I mean...Percy, come on. You know that's impossible."

"I agree with Annabeth." I tell Percy. I wondered again why she had such a grudge against Cyclopes. There was something she wasn't telling me.

She and Tyson both looked at me, waiting for an answer. Meanwhile, the cruise ship was getting farther and farther away.

"We can't leave him," Percy decided. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone."

"Percy," Annabeth said, trying to keep her cool, "we're going to Polyphemus's island! Polyphemus is an S-i-k...a C-y-k..." She stamped her foot in frustration. As smart as she was, Annabeth was dyslexic, too. We could've been there all night while she tried to spell Cyclops. "You know what I mean!"

"Tyson can go," he insisted, "if he wants to."

Tyson clapped his hands. "Want to!"

Annabeth gave Percy the evil eye, but I guess she could tell he wasn't going to change his mind. Or maybe she just knew we didn't have time to argue. I meet Percy's eyes, trying to reason with him. He shakes his head, and I look away with a sigh.

"All right," Annabeth said. "How do we get to that ship?"

"Hermes said my father would help."

"Well then, Seaweed Brain? What are you waiting for?"

"Um, Dad?" he called. "How's it going?"

"Percy!" Annabeth whispered. "We're in a hurry!"

"We need your help," he called a little louder. "We need to get to that ship, like, before we get eaten and stuff, so..."

At first, nothing happened. Waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. Then, about a hundred yards out to sea, three white lines appeared on the surface. They moved fast toward the shore, like claws ripping through the ocean.

As they neared the beach, the surf burst apart and the heads of three white stallions reared out of the waves.

Tyson caught his breath. "Fish ponies!"