Chapter 9: I Was Hoping We Were Alone On This Ship

***

It was like I had blacked out and just came too. This event was vivid in my mind, even before the nightmares of it started. Sometimes I would go weeks without it, then it would come back full force.

"Call off the bug," Percy said. "If you're so strong, fight me yourself."

Luke smiled. "Nice try, Percy. But I'm not Ares. You can't bait me. My lord is waiting, and he's got plenty of quests for me to undertake."

"Luke-"

"Good-bye, Percy and Lillian. There is a new Golden Age coming. You won't be part of it."

He slashed his sword in an arc and disappeared in a ripple of darkness as the scorpions lunged.

I swatted it away with my hand and took off my bracelet, a sword appearing. The thing jumped at me and I cut it in half in midair. I was about to congratulate myself until I looked down at my arm. My sleeve was ripped, and beneath the fabric I had a huge red welt, oozing and smoking with yellow guck. The thing had gotten me after all.

I looked at Percy, and saw that he had one on his palm.

My ears pounded. My vision went foggy. The water, I thought. It healed him before.

I grabbed my friend and brought him to the creek, submerging his hand. Nothing seemed to happen, the poison was too strong. Percy had begun to black out, and the same happened to me. My vision grew dark, and I couldn't stand up.

'Sixty seconds' Luke had told us.

I had to get us back to camp. If we died here, we would become the dinner for a monster. No one would know what happened.

Pitch was standing on the other side of the river, though his expression was impossible to read. For a moment I thought I saw concern and a satisfied smile all at once.

My legs felt like lead as I pushed him from my mind, and Percy was practically limp in my arms. His forehead was burning, and I knew mine was too. I stumbled toward the camp, and the nymphs stirred from their trees.

"Help," I croaked. "Please..."

Two of them took my arms, pulling me along. They tried to take Percy from me, but I held on to his hand. I remember making it to the clearing, a counselor shouting for help, a centaur blowing a conch horn. Then everything went black.

***

I woke to Annabeth shaking me.

"Time to get up."

I was about to say five more minutes, but then remembered where I was.

"Gods you're lucky we are on a quest." I mutter and look over at her, noticing she is already dressed.

I stood up as the ship's whistle blew and a voice on the intercom- some guy with an Australian accent who sounded way too happy.

"Good morning, passengers! We'll be at sea all day today. Excellent weather for the poolside mambo party! Don't forget million-dollar bingo in the Kraken Lounge at one o'clock, and for our special guests, disemboweling practice on the Promenade!"

As he had said this, I quickly got dressed, putting on a pair of jeans, a tee-shirt, and light flannel jacket, which I was grateful for. A normal outfit for me. "Do I even want clarification on what he said?"

Annabeth groaned, but walked to the door. "Probably not."

Something on the floor beside me caught my eye. Carefully I bend down, pinching it between my fingers. A black, glittery substance that feels strangely similar to sand falls back to the ground.