Chapter 24: A Pine Tree Becomes A Girl

***

That afternoon was one of the happiest I'd ever spent at camp, which maybe goes to show, you never know when your world is about to be rocked to pieces.

Grover announced that he'd be able to spend the rest of the summer with us before resuming his quest for Pan. His bosses at the Council of Cloven Elders were so impressed that he hadn't gotten himself killed and had cleared the way for future searchers, that they granted him a two month furlough and a new set of reed pipes. The only bad news: Grover insisted on playing those pipes all afternoon long, and his musical skills hadn't improved much. He played "YMCA," and the strawberry plants started going crazy, wrapping around our feet like they were trying to strangle us. I guess I couldn't blame them.

Later on during archery class, Chiron pulled Percy aside and told him he'd fixed the problems with Meriwether Prep. The school no longer blamed Percy for destroying their gymnasium. The police were no longer looking for my friend.

"How did you manage that?" I could hear Percy asking.

Chiron's eyes twinkled. "I merely suggested that the mortals had seen something different on that day- a furnace explosion that was not your fault."

"You just said that and they bought it?"

"I manipulated the Mist. Some day, when you're ready, I'll show you how it's done."

"You mean, I can go back to Meriwether next year?"

Chiron raised his eyebrows. "Oh, no, they've still expelled you. Your headmaster, Mr. Bonsai, said you had- how did he put it? -un-groovy karma that disrupted the school's educational aura. But you're not in any legal trouble, which was a relief to your mother. Oh, and speaking of your mother..."

He unclipped his cell phone from his quiver and handed it to Percy. "It's high time you called her."

I didn't listen to them talk, but I did ask Percy to tell her hello for me.

***

Annabeth, Grover, and I walked to the beach where we knew Percy and Tyson were. I was sad to see him go, but it was for the best. The three of us stood atop the sand dune, giving Percy and Tyson their private moment.

"Hey, Percy." Annabeth broke the silence.

Percy turned around to face us.

"Tyson..." He told us. "He had to..."

"We know," I said softly. "Chiron told us."

"Cyclopes forges." Grover shuddered. "I hear the cafeteria food there is terrible! Like, no enchiladas at all."

Annabeth held out her hand. "Come on, Seaweed Brain. Time for dinner." We walked back toward the dining pavilion together, just the four of us, like old times.

***

I woke up at the same time as the rest of the cabin. There was a banging on the door. Ginny flew inside.

"Guys!" she stammered. "Annabeth...on the hill...she..." The look in his eyes told us something was terribly wrong. Annabeth had been on guard duty that night, protecting the Fleece. If something had happened-

The entire cabin hurried to get dressed and rushed across the central yard, all of us together in a panic. The Stoll brothers lead the group, but we were all close. Dawn was just breaking, but the whole camp seemed to be stirring. Word was spreading. Something huge had happened. A few campers were already making their way toward the hill, satyrs and nymphs and heroes in a weird mix of armor and pajamas.