A Bond So Strong

Chapter 8

A Bond So Strong

Dreadful thoughts of what was to take place later flooded my mind but I was pulled from them as a figure came into view. I dropped the knife in my hand next to the loaf of bread I had been cutting to come to the aid of a weak Sarah. She could barely hold her own weight up as she held the wall as her crutch.

“Sarah, you’re okay!” I exclaimed as I reached for her.

Her hand blocked my advances. She was awake and conscious but she still looked terrible to say the least.

“Just leave me be.” She muttered.

She grabbed one of the hanging aprons and began to put it on. As she started to struggle with tying it, I stepped in. She tried to shrug away from me but I wouldn’t let her.

“You just couldn’t help yourself, could you?” She spat.

“What do you mean?” I asked, completely dumbfounded by her accusation.

She stepped out of my grasp as I finished tying her bow. She turned to face me and her expression and demeanor was not one of a grateful friend, but one of a woman scorned. She regained her composure and tied her hair in her usual bun on top of her head.

“Don’t you see…I love him!” She exclaimed. There were tears in her eyes after she admitted her secret to me.

“I-I didn’t know.” I explained.

“How could you not? I let him have me, you heard the whole thing. I’m no whore; I gave myself to him out of love! Ever since you came here he’s been distant…last night I wanted to remind him that I’m still here and at his disposal.” Her admissions were raw and honest yet disturbing at the same time.

“How could you love someone like that? He hurt you, I saw what he did!” She knew I was talking about the gruesome bite marks that were under her clothes.

“He didn’t hurt me, I’m fine. And I would have healed whether you made your deal with him or not.” She insisted.

“There’s no way you could have, you were close to death this morning and now with his help you aren’t bedridden.” Her ungrateful behavior was getting under my skin.

She yanked open the top of her dress to show me her bare skin. There was nothing there, no marks and not even a scratch.

“He didn’t have to do anything. By the time he came to our room, I was already coming to. There’s something you don’t kno-“

“SARAH! Shut your mouth this instant! I knew there was a reason the meal was taking so long.” Wesley roared from behind Sarah.

He moved so fast to her side that it was almost unrealistic. Her arm was in a firm hold as he whispered something in her ear. She nodded her head after he let her go. She walked over to the counter top and picked up from where I left off with the meal preparation. Wesley set his sights on me and came closer.