Worth The Trouble...

Chapter 5

Worth the trouble…

It seemed like my efforts of avoiding Wesley were working. The only time I had to see him was during meals, he burned holes through me with his eyes. His mother had been my savior that day in his bedroom, who knows how far he would have gone if she hadn’t intervened. She was a woman of few words, only asking for things that she absolutely needed. I caught myself staring at her sometimes, her graceful movements seemed so unnatural, there wasn’t a time where she didn’t look or act absolutely perfect.  I saw that Wesley favored her the most since she had dark hair while his father was a ginger. I hadn’t really conversed with the mister of the house but he had the most outgoing aura of them all, he always wore a smile and made humor out of everything.

After serving the afternoon meal, Sarah and I began our chores on the second floor. I refused to enter Wesley’s room so I was assigned his parent’s chambers to clean and tidy. As I opened the door, a chilling draft swept by me. The room was so dark which was quite strange considering there was plenty of daylight left in the day. I felt my way around the room until I reached the window I began to tug at them to let the light in.

“Leave them!” A stern feminine voice demanded.

She had startled me. I left the curtains alone and turned to my mistress. She was lighting a large oil lantern and flinched slightly as the bright light began to flicker.

“Use this…Don’t ever open the curtains.” She instructed.

“Yes, Mistress.” I answered.

Although she was well-tempered, I didn’t want to anger her.  She sat at her vanity while I dusted her room. I could feel her observing me and I made sure to not miss a spot. I was surprised when she finally began a dialogue with me.

“What is your given name?” She questioned.

I looked at her reflection in the mirror to answer her.

“Katarzyna, ma’am.”

“And do you fancy my son, Katarzyna?”

I was embarrassed by the question but I knew better than to lie to her. She should know the truth; how I despised him and how I was scared to be left alone with him.

“No ma’am.” I said bluntly.

She nodded her head as she got exactly the answer she wanted. I continued with the dusting.