Chapter Fourteen

Maybe miracles really did exist.

As hectic as the day began, Skylar came home from Friday Night Lights with a new contact in her phone. Thomas Saunders was on her phone. She had his number. In her phone. They even exchanged selfies so they had one another's profile picture.

When she went to go find Kaden and share the exciting news with Kaden, she found him on the bleachers with his friends. She was facing their backs, so none of them saw Skylar coming. As a result, she overheard bits of conversation that weren't intended for her ears.

"You know Summer is going around spreading rumors that you gave Skylar chlamydia." This was from Dave Hughes, who had a girl in his lap.

Kaden snorted. "You guys don't need me to tell you that's not true. We haven't even had sex. She's not that kind of girl."

"What, fun?" Piper Hayes was multitasking- sending off several snapchats while pausing every now and then to submit herself back to reality. "I'm kinda surprised you broke up with Summer for her. I didn't think prudes were your type."

"She's not a prude." Skylar's chest warmed upon noting his defensive tone. "I'm not saying she's any more or less cool because she doesn't have sex. I'm just saying she's not in any kind of rush. And neither am I. It's nice. Being with someone who doesn't care about the physical aspects."

"When the hell did you turn into the Pope?" Michael Chen snickered.

Dave piped up again. "Can someone tell me why your girlfriend was snuggling up all cozy with Thomas Saunders? Your sworn enemy?"

"Not my enemy. And they were just talking. Nothing to overthink."

"Mmmhm. Just talking. I'd watch out if I were you, Brooks. Thomas looked like he wanted to do much more than just talk with your girl."

Skylar couldn't see Kaden's face, (she couldn't see any of their faces), so it was hard to tell whether or not she was imagining it. But it seemed like Kaden stiffened. His posture twitched. The fist at his side clenched, before releasing altogether. "I trust her. She's fine."

Dave was now making out with the girl. On the field, the football players were taking pictures with family and friends. The occasional flash would go off, illuminating the caved night sky.

Skylar took her phone out, ready to text Kaden and tell her she would just wait in the parking lot, when he turned around just then, as if sensing her presence. Immediately, his face lightened up. "Hey!" All his friends whipped their necks to see the reason for his change in tone. He didn't even say goodbye to them, just circled his arm around her waist, leading her away. "So. How'd it go?"

In response, she held up her phone, where Thomas' contact information still occupied the screen. "No fucking way. You got his number?" She liked that he matched her energy. As they walked to the car, he badgered her with question after question.

"Who asked for the number first?"

"I did!"

"What did you guys talk about?"

"Mainly school. Life in general."

"Wait, how did he even get your number if he thinks we're still dating?"

"I told him he could text me whenever he needed help with school. He still believes our relationship is purely platonic. For studying purposes."

When they reached his truck, he ruffled her hair. She huffed, her breath pushing a lock of hair away from her mouth. "Can I please have my hair tie back, now? The wind was driving me crazy all night. No thanks to you."