Chapter Twenty Four

"Stop looking at me."

"Sky, it's an assembly. There's going to be hundreds of eyes just like mine staring at you."

Skylar sighed. "How is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Better to face reality now than never."

"Well, you could at least stop looking at me like that." They were in Skylar's room, where Ms. Lin's trust with Kaden had extended to letting them stay in a closed bedroom. Kaden was leaning backwards in her wheelie chair, that lazy smirk slowly stretching higher. "Like what?" he drawled. He tilted his head so it was leaning on a fisted palm, his elbow on the armrest.

"Like, like- like that! Come on, you know what!"

Kaden's mouth twitched. "I can't help it. You're just going to have to get used to it."

Skylar huffed, sitting backwards on her bed. Her entire body bounced as a result. She slapped her papers against her face, the five pages of her manuscript that she intended to read aloud for her thousands of peers. She was doing a practice run with Kaden. Just to get a feel of what it'd be like with an audience watching. Yet somehow, with Kaden Brooks staring at her with a goofy grin, the same way he did when he tried to sneak a kiss, it only made her more nervous. Her lips were unable to read more than two sentences before getting all hot and flushed again.

"Just pretend like I'm not even here."

"Well, I can't. You're breathing too heavy."

He raised an eyebrow. "I breathe.... too heavy?"

"Yes."

"So I should just hold my breath then, is that it?"

"Yes. Or at least, just, face the wall."

He rolled his eyes but spun the chair, striking his heels out last minute so he was angled towards the door. This way, she only had a view of his back. Taking a deep breath, she tried reading from the beginning again. "-the cherry autumn leaves hit a striking angle. Fall was beginning to overturn them once again, and-" The door creaked, causing Skylar to jump and pause. Her senses were heightened immediately. Turning towards the culprit, she found Aaron standing in the doorway, attempting to listen in secrecy. "Can I help you?" she asked a bit harsher than she intended.

Aaron stood awkwardly in their room, wringing his hands. "Sorry, didn't mean to eavesdrop there. But Kaden was telling me about your contest and I just wanted to congratulate you personally."

"Oh. Thank you" she said while sending Kaden a glare. He gave her a sheepish grin in return.

"Mind if I listen in?"

Um. Skylar rolled her manuscript up, hitting her thigh with the wad. "I think that would just make me even more nervous."

"I promise you won't even hear a peep out of me." Aaron flashed a warm smile, mimicking him zipping up his lips.

Skylar out of instinct looked at Kaden, who gave her an encouraging nod. "Alright" she sighed. "I guess the more the merrier."

Hands shaking, Skylar struggled to find the line she was at previously. Blinking rapidly, hyper aware of the four eyes staring at her, her heartbeat quickened. Palms suddenly sweatier than before, Skylar started fanning herself with one hand.

"Sky? You okay?" Kaden asked. She heard his voice, but wasn't looking at him. Because suddenly, Skylar's mother and grandmother were in the room.

"What is going on here?" Ms. Lin asked. Her pregnant figure took up the whole doorway.