EPILOGUE

Five months later:

"Okay, guys, remember, when mom and Aaron come home, THAT'S when you drop the balloons. Ben, don't eat the cake. Lena, stop licking Ben. Kaden, the camera's ready to go? Okay, perfect. Already, everybody get into your positions. Go, go, go!"

Skylar huddled behind the plant by the store entrance. Ben and Lena each gathered the corner of a blanket, with the pile of balloons bouncing around inside, both pink and blue because they weren't sure the gender of the baby yet. Ms. Lin wanted to know, but Aaron was already so nervous that he didn't want any more information that could unnerve him. So, they vowed to keep it a surprise. Until then, everybody had just been calling the baby: "Baby X." 

Kaden stood with his phone facing the entrance, ready to capture the moment that Baby X first walked in to everybody's lives. There was stillness, and then, the sound of keys rustling. The door creaked open slightly, when Ms. Lin walked in first, followed by Aaron holding the baby carrier. "Surprise!" everybody shouted. The ballons were catapulted into the air, raining down a parade of vibrant colours. 

Skylar jumped out, spraying confetti everywhere. "Surprise!"

Ms. Lin was smiling but gestured with her hands to keep the volume down to a minimum. "She's sleeping!" she hissed. 

"She?!" Skylar immediately ran to her new baby sister, crouching so she could see her at eye level. "Oh my gosh" she cooed. Her new sister was so tiny, and yet so perfect. Her crinkled eyes were shut, and she wore a baby pink hat to match the new gloves. Aaron and Ms. Lin were staring at the new bundle of joy like they couldn't get enough. "She's beautiful."

Aaron put a hand on Skylar's shoulder. "This is amazing, kid. The perfect way to come home."

Skylar smiled. "I felt so bad about not planning the baby shower you wanted. So I decided to kind of compile it into the 'welcome home' party. A little two-in-one action."

Kaden walked closer, putting his camera in the baby's face. "God, she's precious" he awed. "Did you two decide on a name yet?"

Ms. Lin put an affectionate hand over Aaron's stomach. "We did. Abigail."

Lena pouted. "Why not Lyna?"

Ben snorted. "Who would be stupid enough to name two of their children the exact same thing?"

"It would be Lyna spelled with a Y! Duh!"

Aaron jumped in. "Lena is a beautiful name. But you're each special in your own way, so you deserve your own names."

"Nice save" Skylar muttered. 

"Here, everybody jump in for a photo. I'll take a picture" Kaden suggested, stepping back a few steps. Everybody gathered around with their arms around each other. After a few clicks and flashes, Abigail began crying. Everybody awww'd again.

"Aww, baby girl, are you hungry? Should we go get your bottle?" Aaron cooed, bringing Abigail up the stairs. 

Ms. Lin shook her head as she watched her partner. "She's going to be such a daddy's girl. I already know it. He barely let me hold her yet, and I'm the one who gave birth to her!" she chuckled. 

"Hey, look at these photos" Kaden spoke up. Skylar watched her family for a moment, wanting to freeze everything here in this moment. Her siblings had long lost interest in the photos, deciding to toss around a ballon like a volleyball. She went to go fetch the cake, holding it between her forearms with a delicacy, as if she was bringing out a wedding cake. Ms. Lin eyed the dessert with wide eyes. Kaden helped her cut the cake and hand out the slices to everybody. It was a store bought cake, but nobody seemed to care. Ben had already devoured his and was begging for seconds. Skylar nearly tripped on a combination of balloons and cardboard boxes, all strewn around store floor like legos. 

In the last few months leading up to the pregnancy, Aaron and Ms. Lin had decided to buy a new house so that there was more room for the new baby. They had all toured the house already- and it was a nice house. Big enough so that each kid got their own room. But Skylar was going to miss the house she'd grown up in. They were still going to keep the store and run it, but now with Aaron in the picture, Ms. Lin could afford some extra help around the shop. They were even going to rent the upstairs out to different families as a way to make some extra coin. With all these new options, for once, Skylar found herself (and her mother) financially stress free. Still, it wasn't going to be the same, not being able to just walk down the stairs to enter the store like old times. She tried to savour the moment whenever she could, knowing how fast life moved. 

Aaron was back in the store with Abigail, holding her over to Kaden. Skylar watched as her boyfriend cuddled the newborn in his arms, holding the bottle and glancing down with soft eyes. As if on cue, Kaden looked up and their eyes met. He winked, and Skylar's insides melted. 

In just the span of eight months, Skylar had gotten a boyfriend, a new sister, a new house, and the fresh start of a future where she was certain she'd enter a path going into creative writing, and most important, a newfound confidence in herself. She still pinched herself at random times just to make sure she wasn't dreaming. Reality had never been so good. 

And even though the hard times still showed up here and there, she always had writing to fall back on. After all, there was nothing that escaping behind some pen and paper couldn't fix.