Chapter Nineteen

Skylar hated admitting that Kaden was right, but right now, he was two for two.

"Drunk guys and booze filled bozos" couldn't be a more accurate description. In every corner of the house, people were either making out or getting hammered. The front porch and backyard smelled like weed. She couldn't go anywhere in the house for some privacy.

Thomas had left her again, leaving Skylar to circle around the house. Finally, when the kitchen was vacant, she relaxed there, soaking in the much needed alone time. As an introvert, her social battery had already been drained from the banquet. Coming to the party was most definitely pushing her limits.

Of course, God had to choose right then and there for Kaden to walk into the kitchen. Thankfully, Renee wasn't there. She frowned. "Are you following me?"

"You honestly think I'd leave you here by yourself?"

"I'm not by myself. I'm with Thomas, you know that."

"Right. And look how great that's turning out." He gestured around them. "He ditched you the second he walked in, didn't he? That son of a bitch."

"What do you want, Kaden?"

He laughed harshly. "I think it's obvious what I want, Skylar. Let me take you home. I swear to god, I'll even carry you to the car if I have to."

Luckily, somebody entered just then. The door was one of those swinging ones usually found in bars or restaurants, and music from the living room crept in through the cracks. Some fast-paced Spanish song filled the kitchen.

The guy who walked in was the epitome of a surfer dude. His black, greasy hair clung to his shoulders as he unloaded a six-pack of beer. "You want a drink, princess?"

Kaden shuffled to move in front of her. "She doesn't drink."

Skylar elbowed past him. "I'd love one." She ignored the glare he shot in her direction. "Why are you being like this?" he hissed in her ear.

She whirled on him just then. "Why are you being like this? I'll bet your friends drink all the time! Why do you have to be all psychotic tiger mom on me right now?"

Surfer-guy clicked open the tab for her. She took one gulp, trying her hardest to keep her face neutral. It tasted awful. How could people become addicted to this? "Mmmm."

Kaden narrowed his eyes. "You wanna spit it out, don't you?"

"No." She took another unruly sip.

"You're a terrible liar."

Those four simple words ignited a competitiveness in her that never came alive until now. In four gulps, she downed the entire can. Surfer dude whistled. Kaden leaned against the counter, white sleeves pushed up to elbows, scrutinizing her as if counting down the minutes until she caved in. But this is where he was wrong.

She slammed the can down on the surface like how they did in movies, as if she just won a chugging contest. Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, she didn't take her eye off Kaden as she said, "I could go for another."

As she reached for another can from Surfer Guy, Kaden stepped in between them. "I'll be taking these, thank you very much." And then Skylar stood there, dumbfounded, as he popped open each can with his teeth and poured the liquids down the sink.

"Hey! That cost me like twenty bucks!" Surfer Guy snapped.

"Can't put a price on liver failure," Kaden said. He continued until there wasn't a drop of alcohol left. Skylar scoffed.