16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Defective Detective

Rue had kept her promise to meet Alora at her house, even though she'd had two panic attacks on the walk there after her recovering mind assaulted her with unnecessarily aggressive whispers of how Alora was probably hanging out with her out of pity—or worse to watch after her incase she OD'd again. But Rue didn't really get that vibe from her, even if it completely unnerved her to open herself to a new friendship after Jules.

Jules, all blonde and long legs and short skirts and too tight tops. She'd been racking Rue's mind ever since she'd saw her for the first time riding into town and their budding friendship had started turning into something less friendly. "Here goes," Rue whispers, one hand raising to press the little black button on the left side of Alora's front door.

She'd already put on her costume, thick nutmeg curls twisting and flowing in the gentle evening breeze. It only took a few moments for Alora to answer the doorbell, her footsteps being heard by the magician-for-the-night.

Alora swung the door open with a deep exhale, a smile working her way onto her bare face as she greeted Rue. "You know, I wasn't expecting such an amazing costume to come from the dingy drama department but I'm pleased to be proven wrong." She stepped aside to allow Rue in, the place seeming much more beautiful outside of the party scene she'd usually seen it in. Everything was bright and contrasted cozily with the dark hardwood floors. "My rooms upstairs at the end of the hall. Doors open."

Rue nods, following the instructions and peeking back a few times to make sure Alora was following her because even in her heels her steps didn't make a sound. "I see you went with Lara Croft," She finally speaks when they reach Alora's room; it's just as Rue expected—pretty and fluffy and free of mess. Everything was perfectly organized and color coded, even awards that hung on the wall were organized by date or ranking and it made her snort a little.

"What? Is it bad?"

"No, it's not bad. You look great, I was just laughing at your room."

Alora raised a plucked brow, her hand moving a bit slower now as she sifted over her vanity desk to grab her supplies. Her and Rue weren't too far off in shade as what she lacked in a perfect color match, she'd make up for in concealer. "What's wrong with my room?"

"How do you live in here? It's so clean—too clean."

"That statement tells me all I need to know about the state of your room, Bennett." A smile ghosted over Alora's face as she sat before Rue, immediately getting started with rubbing a moisturizer on her skin and some prepping gel that Rue complained, tingled.