once upon a time, long ago

[12 years ago]

-----💊x💲-----

Baek Y/N is completely and utterly bored

She can't be blamed, she thinks, considering how dry the English teacher is. Her tutor back home was a much more fun person; each lesson was mentally stimulating, and the guy knows when to give Y/N a push and when to make her struggle on her own until she finds her footing. Here, in school, the teachers mostly just regurgitate the textbooks without making it even remotely fun and- 

Baek Y/N is completely and utterly bored

She taps her pencil against her notebook in a slow, methodical rhythm, mind already wandering away to far more interesting things. "Maybe I should sneak out to the PC-Bang later..." She mutters to herself, remembering some of the boys in the hallways mentioning a popular MMORPG going live in the Korean servers recently. Y/N never played much MMOs before, but she can probably learn how to play it, given enough time. "Mmm, there's one that's half an hour walk from here... Ah, but I have tutoring tonight..." 

She has math tutoring today, along with history, and while history is such a boring tutorial class, mathematics is something Y/N enjoyed, much to her classmates' amusement. And Y/N isn't really keen on missing a single math class... 

Y/N sighs to herself, despondent. 

She's utterly bored. 

A quick glance to the clock says that' it's 5 minutes until they're finally released for the day, and Y/N eyes the clock with suspicion; she was pretty sure the clock said 5 minutes till class end earlier, but, hmmm... Time always moved weirdly in school, Y/N thinks to herself. 

She can't wait to go home. At least her tutors back home lets her fidget and mess around during tutoring to stave off most of her energy. School is such a bore, Baek Y/N thinks unhappily. But there's nothing she could do, really; if she would dare to cut class, her father would have her sent back to the countryside to stay with her grandparents, and while she loves her grandparents very much - she is very much a spoiled grandchild every Chuseok, after all - she's a city girl through and through, and she'll probably wither away if she stays there for more than a month. 

Y/N wonders how her older siblings survived high school. 

But just as Y/N was about to lament more about her suffering at the very cruel hands of boredom, the bell finally rings, and Y/N wasn't the only one who jumped up from their seats to cheer. She pays no attention to the teacher's displeased expression and his admonishments, but rather she hastily stuffs her things back into her bag before practically vaulting over her desk - "Yah, Y/N!!" Someone yells - and running to the door.  

Y/N skids to a stop in the middle of the hallway, punching the air with both fists. 

"FREEDOM!!!" She cheers, and she grins when other people from different sections echo her cheer, the 'go-home' club practically vibrating in relief at being finally released from school. 

Whistling cheerfully to herself, Y/N skips down the hallways all the way to their foot lockers to replace her school slippers with her outside shoes. 

"Yah, Sangho-ah, wait up!" Someone calls out, and Y/N pauses, blinking. 

Sangho-ah... Choi Sangho-sunbae? From the second years? Y/N blinks in surprise.

Choi Sangho-sunbae was a rather well-known guy in their school, with his shock of white hair - it was all natural, apparently - and his hostile expression. But despite that, he's quite popular due to his family's influence and his own merits, being one of the academic top rankers and being an athlete to boot.