favors are their own currency

[12 years ago]

-----💊x💲-----

In theory, approaching Choi Sangho-sunbae would've been easy. Y/N is no slouch when it comes to socializing, even if she actually doesn't do it a lot. She could just go up to him, introduce herself to him, and express her desire to join his cycling team. Sure, she's never ridden a bike before, but she's fresh and willing to work and work hard. All teams always need fresh blood, right? Right. 

Well, that was all theory

In practice, it was a little more... 

Y/N bangs her head against her tabletop, giving herself a good slap on the cheek just to be sure. It was telling how much weird things Y/N has done when her classmates barely comment on her oddities anymore. They didn't even look at her anymore. 

Choi-sunbae was harder to approach than she expected; the man, whilst a loner, isn't actually always by himself. There's always someone lurking nearby, following him, tagging along even if the white-haired sunbae looks like he doesn't want them there. If it's not the nameless extras, it's the plain looking guy he's buddy-buddy with. Jo Mahon-sunbae

Another somewhat big name guy; Jo is a common surname amongst the medical fields, if Y/N remembers, and she's pretty sure Choi-sunbae's buddy is part of that same Jo family dominating the medical field. 

Y/N wants to approach Choi-sunbae by his lonesome, talk to him one on one, but with the way the guy is somehow always surrounded... It was honestly frustrating. 

"Y/N-ah, you look like you're about to pul your hair out." Y/N looks up with an absolutely dead look, and her acquaintance, Soohee-ah, giggles behind a dainty hand. "Are you having boy problems...?" 

Y/N lets her forehead hit her tabletop again. "In a way,"  She says. Soohee-ah gasps. "Sadly not in the way you think it is though. I wanna talk to one of the sunbae but..." 

Soohee-ah giggles again, and she sidles closer, clinging to Y/N's arm. "Are you sure it's not 'like that', Y/N-ah? You sound like you're about to confess!" The bubbly girl peers at Y/N. "Is it Park Jiyoung-sunbae? The basketball captain???" 

Honestly, Y/N doesn't even know the guy. "No, Choi Sangho-sunbae." Soohee-ah gapes at her, and Y/N nods in sad understanding. "I know. I wanna join his bike team, which is why I wanna talk to him, but I can't talk to him alone... He's always surrounded by someone..." 

Soohee-ah stares at her, before sighing and gently patting her on the head, much like Y/N was a cat. "Oh, Y/N-ah, you're so smart with math but you're so dumb with people." She coos, and Y/N jerks away from her acquaintance with an offended look. 

"Excuse you, I'm a ball of social skills!" Y/N refutes hotly, and Soohee-ah, the ass, just laughs gently at her. 

"No, you silly nugget, I mean you could've just used the people around him to your advantage." She explains, and Y/N- 

Y/N pauses. She... Soohee-ah has a point, surprisingly, and the anger drains immediately from her. Not that there's a lot to begin with. Y/N calms down, relaxing back against the girl currently holding her arm hostage, and she takes a mental step back and reevaluates the situation, finding Soohee-ah's suggestion... Logical. 

And opens up a lot more doors that Y/N thought to be closed before. 

"Soohee-ah, you're a genuis." Y/N declares, and she mentally upgrades the girl from mere acquaintance to an actual friend. She definitely treat the girl out to lunch one of these days. Meals shared is almost always a sure fire way to win someone over after all.