Chapter 2: Dreams about HIM and HER

Our bus, 591, stop in front of our school, David T. Howard Middle School Atlanta Public School.

We all got out of the bus and walk straight into school and into our class. My first class is history.

When I walked in the classroom with my backpack hanging on my right shoulder, looking tired as hell, the whole class did one thing that just piss me off.

THEY'RE FUCKING STARING AT ME!

'I know I'm sexy, but bitch; fuck you looking at.'

I gave them all my famous resting bitch face that say 'we got a problem or sum.' They quickly look down and start doing whatever they was doing before.

I just walk towards my desk and sit down, listening to my history teacher talk about stuff that I already know.

__________changing scene__________

I'm on my 5th period, which is mathematics, we're learning about geometry.

And let me tell you...I know I'm gonna be STRUGGLING. I'm not suicidal, but geometry make me wish I can go back in time and tell my sperm cell to slow the fuck down. Let someone else win the race please.

Even though she's writing examples on the board, I'm still confuse, but I'm not gonna ask for any help 'cause a bitch got pride.

____________changing scenes__________

Right now, I'm in my last period; which is track & field.Running track has always made me feel elation and euphoria.

I set off, partially excited, partially frightened of the inevitable pain to come. The first 200 metres are gone, and already my breathing grows heavy. I feel that I set off 'too fast' and will be unable to sustain it.

At 600 meters, I'm telling myself" Come on, almost halfway. Once you're past halfway you'll have less distance remaining than the distance you've already done."

At 800, I'm thinking "Well, that's the easier half done, now for the agonising half."

At 1000 meters, my muscles are screaming at me to stop and my beginning to doubt whether I can complete the run. My chest burns and my breathing is much heavier.

At 1200 meters, I'm going through a mental struggle. "Do I accelerate to a sprint yet? What if it's too early and I burn out before the end? What if I leave it too late, causing me to get a worse time? What if that causes me to lose to my rival's time?" I decide to try to pick up the pace, only to find I have no strength to do so, and involuntarily I slow back down.

At 1300 meters, an incredible burst of motivation comes seemingly out of nowhere. I know that having 300 metres remaining means that only 1 minute in the future I'll be done. With all the minutes of running I've accumulated in my life, I can easily get through one more. My pace naturally increases without thinking about it.

At 1500 meters, I can see the end and I feel like a bulldozer as my muscles suddenly feel 10 times stronger. I accelerate to a blistering pace and wonder why I couldn't do this a minute ago.

At 1609 meters, I collapse on the floor, gasping for oxygen. My friends, cousins, and coach come over to congratulate me. It feels incredibly satisfying over the next few minutes as my breathing grows easier, the burning in my chest eases off and standing up without putting my hands on my knees becomes easier.