Parable I: The Magician

The first Magician put on a show. They laid out four items on a table: a cup, a sword, a tin star, and a wand.

The first Magician lifted their wand and tapped the cup, water flowed endlessly. They tapped the cup again and the water stopped. The cup was empty.

The first Magician lifted their sword, then threw the tin star in the air, and cut through and through until there was nothing but tiny pieces. As the pieces of tin fell onto the table they remade the star and they lifted to show there had been no cuts.

A heckler yelled at the first Magician that he knew the trick. That he's seen that one done before, and better even. The first Magician invited him into the stage, imploring the heckler to do the tricks.

They heckler reached for the wand, but the stick wouldn't lift from the table. He pulled at the cup but this to wouldn't move. He strained at the blade but the sword refused to budge. The tin star lifted on the first try though.

The heckler didn't understand. He asked the first Magician why would the star moved when the others didn't.

The Magician shrugged and said that they all had a little magic. Even the rude ones.

The heckler returned to their seat confused and full of questions. The Magician smirked, knowingly.

There are two kinds of magic in this world. The kind that does the impossible and the kind that is the impossible. The Magician's duty is to juggle between the two.