Chapter 1: Just Your Average Day In Central City

Tessa sighed, staring out the window at the raindrops that fell silently to the grass, and streamed down the cold glass on the outside.

Rain. Always unappreciated, and always unwanted. Tessa loved the rain. It reminded her of her own life, and these days it seemed like the only thing that really understood what she was going through.

She lives in the Central City Orphanage, and has for three entire years. It felt more like her entire life. But at the same time, three years ago feels so close to her. The day that her parents were brutally murdered in front of her eyes seems like it was only yesterday. It seems like only yesterday, that the yellow blur attacked her family on a rather peaceful day. The yellow blur that nobody ever believed her about. Everyone always assumed it was her imagination, but it wasn't. Tessa was sure of it.

"Teresa Ferox! Stop daydreaming, and pay attention to this lesson!" Mrs. Hallflower scolded.

Ugh. Mrs. Hallflower was Tessa's least favourite teacher, and for a good reason. She was always scolding Tessa for everything. She never did that to any other student in her third grade class. Only her.

"I was paying attention." Teresa stated.

"Then, what is a dividend?" Her teacher questioned.

"The number that is being divided." Tessa replied, boredom laced in her voice.

Couldn't school teach her anything useful for once? It was always the same lesson, over and over again...

"That's correct." Her teacher said, with a grimace on her face.

It looks like Mrs. Hallflower really wanted Tessa to be wrong. Oh well. She never is, and Mrs. Hallflower should know that by now.

"Nerd!" One of the students shouted from the back of the room.

Gavin Jackson. One of Tessa's many bullies.

Tessa just tuned him out, like she always does. She doesn't need more negativity in her life.

A few minutes later, the school bell rung. Unlike most students, Tessa dreaded that noise. It meant that she had to go back to the orphanage, which meant she had to deal with Mrs. Snyder.

Mrs. Snyder was the head of the orphanage, and also the main reason that Tessa hadn't gotten adopted yet. Anytime someone was interested in adopting her, Mrs. Snyder said things like:

"I wouldn't adopt her if I were you. Do you know that she hates other kids? She even beat one up so bad that he ended up in a hospital."

That obviously isn't true, Tessa wouldn't hurt a fly. But it's not like random strangers would know that. They would normally look at her with disdain, and walk away.

Tessa rose from her seat, and walked towards the door... but she wasn't quick enough, as Mrs. Hallflower stopped her right in her tracks.

"Stop right there, young lady. We need to have a conversation." Said Mrs. Hallflower.

Tessa's heart froze in her chest. If Tessa wasn't back to the orphanage in time, Mrs. Snyder would get mad at her. And whenever she gets mad, she beats the living snot out of Tessa.

Tessa stood in place until all the other students were gone. Mrs. Hallflower then pulled out a chair, and snuck a quick glare at Tessa.

Tessa gulped, and sat down. She didn't want to get yelled at.

Mrs. Hallflower pulled out another chair, and sat across from her.

"So, Tessa. You've been doing pretty well in my class." Mrs. Hallflower started.