Chapter 2: Lune

Tessa must've fallen asleep sometime during the night, as she just began to slowly wake up. Suddenly, Tessa jolted up. What if she was late for school? Mrs. Hallflower would not be happy, that's for sure.

Tessa was still wearing her backpack from yesterday, as well as the same clothes. She figured that she was ready to go already.

Tessa didn't even bother to grab anything for breakfast. All she knew was that Mrs. Snyder wasn't here at this exact moment, and she had to leave as soon as possible.

The girl quickly sprung to her feet, despite the protest of her body. She tried to hightail it out of the orphanage, but something grabbed her wrists...

"No... no... no... I don't think I can take another beating right now." Tessa thought wearily to herself.

"Relax, Tess. It's just me." Said a male voice from behind her.

"Kao?" Tessa asked.

"Yeah... it's me." Kao reassured.

Kao was a fellow orphan, that happened to be the only friend of Tessa. He wasn't around very often, as he was often hiding. But he usually came out when he had something important to tell her.

"What is it, Kao?" Tessa asked in a confused tone.

"...I normally wouldn't come out at this time of day, but I have a lead on the man in yellow. I thought you might want to hear about it." Kao stated.

"Of course I want to hear about it!" Tessa exclaimed

"Just... don't do anything too crazy this time, okay?" Kao said, clearly remembering the time that Tessa tried to infiltrate a biker gang and almost got her head blown off.

Yeah, Tessa tends to be a bit reckless at times.

"I won't. Please tell me. It won't be too long until Mrs. Snyder is back." Tessa stated.

Heaving a small sigh, Kao nodded.

"I'll tell you. But promise me something."

"What is it?"

"Please don't go after this guy alone... it'll get you hurt, or even worse, killed. I already lost my parents... I can't lose you too."

"I won't. I promise." Tessa reassured.

However, Tessa knew that she couldn't keep that promise. She had to get justice for her parents, no matter the cost. If she died, she knew that Kao would be upset... but he would survive. It's not like Tessa was his only friend. She wasn't even his best friend. She just knew that Kao cared about almost everyone, which Tessa appreciated. That meant she wasn't completely alone in life. But, even with Kao at her side, she still felt lonely. She was glad to have one friend, but even so she felt empty inside.

Tessa usually tried to ignore that feeling. She was just overlooking how lucky she was to have a friend. At least that's what Tessa assumed she thought. She felt guilty about it, but she couldn't ignore the emptiness. She just couldn't. The death of her parents left a void in her that no one could fill.

After a few seconds of silence, Kao spoke again.

"I think that something is going to go wrong with the Particle Accelerator," Said Kao. "I think it'll send a Dark Matter Wave across Central City."

Tessa's eyes widened.

"What? How?" She asked.

"I think that the man in yellow is going to sabotage it... but the one man that has the authority to even access the Particle Accelerator is... Harrison Wells." Said Kao.