Too Late - [C.B X Reader]

A/N: This was requested, also has a Little Women flare to it <3 

------

It was the day of your wedding, and the nerves were fully encapsulating you. You knew you looked as gorgeous as you could possibly look on one's wedding day. Your hair was done to perfection, the slight shine of your skin from the soaps your mother had gifted you and your white dress, hugging you in all the modest and right places.

You felt like a princess.

But as the tears streaked down your face, all you could remember was four nights before.

You were standing in the ballroom with Colin Bridgerton. He had been your only solace during your debut into society and you had become fast friends. He was charming, daring and a little childish but he made you giggle like no other man had in your life.

It was cliché to say that you had fallen for the man, but you had. Wholeheartedly, I mean who could really blame you when the Bridgerton's looked how they did. Anyone who wasn't attracted to at least one of them was blind.

However, Colin never made any attempts to see you in such a light and after trying to get his attention in some way, you had simply given up. Your soon-to-be husband was a kind gentleman of high standing. Not as high as the Bridgerton's but he was up there in the ton's exclusive members.

He had asked you to marry him, three months into your courtship and because you hadn't heard of any objections from anyone – especially the person you wanted to object so much – you said yes.

This night started out like any of the others. Apart from the fact you were due to be wed in four nights. Your groom, Mr Lancaster, would not be in attendance tonight due to ill health. You had summarised that he just didn't like polite society, which would do you well when you were to be wed as you too deemed it a tedious affair at times.

"Miss Y/L/N," Colin whispered into your ear, making you shrug your shoulders up, "Do you fancy a trip into the gazebo?"

You giggled, "Yes but we must make haste before my Mama notices that I have left with a rather dashing gentleman that isn't my soon-to-be husband."

Colin whispered again, "Scandalous indeed." You both hurried off into the gazebo, giggling to yourself like young school children.

As you stood there, giggling with Colin, you almost wanted to cry. You now had no way of ever marrying him, now you were excepted to another and then well, you did cry. Right in front of him.

"Oh Y/N, why are you crying?" Colin rushed to your side, sitting you down on the gazebo bench. The warm summer air flowing between the two of you as you sniffled.

"I think I am just nervous for my wedding day," you lied.

"I would be surprised if you weren't." Colin replied, holding your gloved hand in his. You looked into his gorgeous green eyes and melted. He was everything you wanted and more. Mr Lancaster had hardly been romantic towards you or even friendly. He was nice enough, but he never once ushered you in private and held your hand with such tenderness.

There was a still silence between the two of you, neither of you wanting to speak and just to sit in that position forever. It was a misspoken truth for the both of you as he held your hand under the nights sky.

"Don't marry him." Colin whispered.

"What?" Your eyebrows squinted together.

"Don't marry him."

You broke away from his touch and scoffed, "Don't say that, stop it."

"I am serious." Colin got up to come over to you, but you moved again, "Please."

"You are being mean." You almost shouted, shaking your head in utter disbelief, "You do not get to say that to me."

Colin laughed in shock, "Have you not seen the way I have looked at you?" he replied with urgency.

You placed your hands on your ears, "You do not get to say to that me – not when I have spent the entire time that I have known you just - loving you from afar."

Colin lifted his hand to his chest and spoke lowly, "I have been the worldest biggest idiot but tonight – tonight it hit me that I cannot see you with anyone but me."

Anger filled your face as you spoke, "It is too late for that!"

"Is it?" Colin replied with just as much urgency and anger as yourself, "Is it too late?"

"I cannot do this Colin, not now." You shook your head and smoothed your hands down your dress, "I have to go back in before someone realises that I am gone."

Colin skimmed your wrist with his hand, "He will not make you happy."

You turned around with force, "Goodbye, Colin."

Biting your lip, you felt the place in which Colin's hand had touched and realised, that he was right. You would never be truly happy, not with Mr Lancaster, but he had asked for your hand when Colin had been too cowardly not to.

And you were going to marry him because you simply had no other choice.

----------

Dearest Gentle Reader,

This Author wants to congratulate Mr and Mrs Lancaster on their recent marriage. We, as a society, can only hope the best for the couple and wish them a happy and healthy marriage.

In another news, Mr Colin Bridgerton, if off on his travels once again. He seemed to leave after the recent wedding of Mr and Mrs Lancaster. This Author can only assume that he was eager to get back into the world again, and who could blame him.

Yours Truly,

Lady Whistledown, Society Papers.