Middle Of The Night (B.B X Reader) - Requested

The Bridgerton's had been your family friends for as long as you could remember. You only lived next door in Number Six Bruton Street, and your back gardens were pretty much attached. You had found a sneaky way through the hedges to see each other late at night.

You started doing this in the middle of the night, sometimes to see Eloise but more often than anything, to see Benedict. You were in love with him, you had already imagined what your life would be like with him and then you would often get sad because his affections did not lie with you.

Benedict never once showed affections towards you. Perhaps it was the gentleman inside of him, not wanting to tarnish a lady's reputation but you never noticed any soft glances or even a hitch to his breath when he saw you. He was unattainable and you knew that.

You crawled through the hole in the hedge to see him sitting there on his favourite swing, smoking a cigarette. He always looked so damn handsome, no matter what he was doing, "Those are bad for your health you know."

He smiled and turned to face you, "And how would you know, Miss Y/L/N?"

"Well – I am only assuming." You shrugged and sat beside him, taking the cigarette from his fingers and putting it between your lips.

Benedict watched you and he could never quite understand your beauty. You were unassuming of everyone's attention around you, something he quite liked. You had a line of suitors but never the right one for you. Benedict only wanted the best for you, even though he secretly hoped you liked him just as he liked you.

"One day your mother is going to see you out here." He took the cigarette from you as he took a drag, letting the smoke fill the air as he let it out.

"Would that be so bad, Mr Bridgerton?" You joked but saw his face change, so you added, "Benedict, we have been meeting like this many years – there is no way that they have not figured it out."

Benedict didn't say anything as he continued to smoke.

"And since when did you care about society's expectations?"

He turned to you, "Since you are involved, Y/N."

"What do you mean?" You laughed slightly.

The air suddenly seemed to change and Benedict's whole demeanour shifted. It wasn't like him to get so serious, but his face had become one you hardly recognised under the moonlight. It wasn't malicious or angry – it was sadness.

"Go home, Y/N." Benedict stubbed out the cigarette and walked towards his back door.

And you were left there with an empty swing next to you, wondering what the hell had happened.

———-

Dearest Gentle Reader,

It has come to This Authors attention that Miss Y/L/N has took a fancy to a rather gracious gentleman. This may come as a shock to you all as many of Miss Y/L/N's suitors have been cast away without a second thought, but I can assure you the main reasons for this is because she is in love.

You as the reader may be wondering if I might unmask the person she is in love with, and do I ever disappoint?

It is none other than, Mr Benedict Bridgerton.

And now This Author wonders just how Mr Bridgerton may react to such news, but I can assure you dear reader, that I am just as in the dark about this one as all of you.

Yours Truly,

Lady Whistledown, Society Papers.

———