Chapter 1 * The titaness by the lake

Nike was looking for Athena. She decided to check the library. Her wife had been spending a lot of time there recently. The angel didn't really know why. Probably her latest project. As predicted the wisdom goddess was there. She seemed to be drowning between the piles of books.

"Reading are you?" The daughter of Styx stated the obvious.

Athena raised her head and tore her eyes away from the page she was reading. Seeing Nike she smiled, but she couldn't help but shake her head at her wife's comment.

"Idiot." The wisdom goddess chuckled.

"Your idiot though."

Nike smirked, flashing the golden wedding ring on her finger.

"How could I forget?" Athena asked with an eyeroll.

"Forever." The angel added, ignoring her wife's question.

"Anyway, what are you doing?"

"Just some digging into mom's old work. Guess I could use some of her wisdom."

"Your-... mom's work..?"

In a split second Nike's mood went from light to dark. As if someone had flipped a switch. Her brain flooded with memories of Metis, titaness of wisdom and prudence. And, not to forget, her wife's mother.

Nike was flying around, soaring on her snow white wings. She loved the moments she was able to get out of the underworld and where she got to use her wings to their full potential, right underneath Helios' light.

She loved the tan he left on her skin. It was a nice contrast with her wings and her blonde hair. The more she came up here, the more she was certain of the fact that she was meant for the upper world.

As she inhaled the air that was -unlike the underworld-, rich in oxygen, the victory goddess let herself fall out of the sky.

She stopped mid loop and fell head first down to the earth below. With her eyes closed she couldn't even tell she was falling. Nike felt weightless and carefree.

At the dead last moment she opened her eyes and caught herself from smashing into the trees right underneath her.

Just as the young titaness started wondering where she had actually ended up, her eye fell on a beautiful lake. It seemed to be hidden in the forest, as if it was trying to hide its beauty from the rest of the world.

Nike flew a bit closer, curious for the lake and all its majestic glory. She stopped herself however when she spotted another titaness bathing in the water.

The angel knew it wasn't very appropriate to spy on people who were bathing, but she simply couldn't tear her eyes away. It was almost like an enchantment.

The victory goddess let her feet gently touch the ground as she watched the mysterious titaness from a distance. The titaness didn't seem to notice her, seeing as she just carried on with her motions.

Nike blushed. She really shouldn't be here. So as hard as it was, she peeled her eyes away from the scene. This wasn't someone she was allowed to watch.

The angel flew back up into the sky, but the image of the titaness never left her mind.

"My love, are you okay?" Nike heard Athena ask.

It seemed the wisdom goddess had noticed her wife's mood shift. Usually Nike was glad her wife picked up on those, but right now she had hoped she had missed the detail.

However Tyche was not on her side today it seemed. The fact that Athena noticed while between her piles of books meant her reaction was way too obvious.

"Y-Yeah.." The victory goddess said, but even to herself she sounded distraught.

Athena raised a brow and gave her wife 'the look'. 'The look' was whatever look she always gave Nike when she was not having a word she was saying.

"Come sit next to me." The daughter of Zeus ordered.

The angel sighed and sat down next to her wife, who put down the book she was holding. Nike felt Athena's arm wrap around her shoulder, just as she felt the gentle kiss on her head.

"Tell me what's bothering you."

The victory goddess snuggled into her wife's chest as her eye fell on the book she had just placed down.

'The world as I see it by Metis'

Nike recognized the cursive of the handwriting. Distinctly it even reminded her of Athena's writing.

For weeks now Nike had been returning to the lake everyday. To her own surprise she found she had little trouble retracing the steps of the first day. It was as if she knew exactly which road would be most efficient.

The first two weeks she learned the pattern of the titaness she had seen. Some days she sat down and wrote, others she bathed and on even other days she'd just sit there and stare at the view.

But she always repeated the pattern, always doing the same things. Nike wondered if it ever bored her.

About two weeks ago now the titaness had noticed the angel. She had invited Nike to come sit with her. However rather than sit with her, the victory goddess left, too shy to actually talk to the woman she thought was most beautiful.

Although she did not sit with her Nike did still return every day. Today was one of the days Metis would bathe.

The angel's feet gently touched the cool rock as she gracefully landed. She patiently waited for the titaness to finish her routine, before she'd walk up to her. Nike didn't want to intrude on anything.

In her mind the image of that first day flashed once more. The way the titaness had gotten her fingers through her long dark brown hair and the way that hair fell down her back.

The victory goddess had to physically shake her head to drive the image out of her mind for now. When she felt like she waited long enough for the woman to finish bathing Nike took the last few steps that would lead her to the clearing with the lake.