Chapter 2 * Tell me more

Nike neared the lake. She could see the titaness as she enjoyed the sun, probably letting her hair dry in the process too.

The titaness must've felt the angel's presence and looked over her shoulder.

"You're back again?" The voice like music asked.

The victory goddess peaked from behind a tree. The urge to run away once more was strong, but this time she fought it, too curious to know who this hypnotizing woman was.

"Will you come sit with me?" The titaness questioned.

The angel gave a small nod, cautiously walked towards the woman and sat down next to her. Nike felt her gray eyes searching her body.

"I'm Metis." The titaness spoke, holding out a hand for the victory goddess to take.

"Nike."

"Domains?"

Metis didn't question Nike's status. Titaness, god, minor god, nymph,... It didn't seem to matter to the immortal.

"Victory." The angel replied, her tone barely above a whisper.

"You?"

"Wisdom and prudence." The titaness smiled.

Silence fell between the two. Even though Nike loved hearing Metis' voice she had no idea what to say to keep the conversation going.

"You know, you're quite the audience." Metis chuckled.

If the victory goddess wasn't falling for the titaness yet, she definitely was now. Her laugh sounded like music and it lifted Nike's spirits in the exact same way, instantly cheering her up.

"I'm sorry." The angel started.

"I didn't mean to intrude or-"

"Don't worry. I don't mind."

Metis flashed a smile. 

"It's a nice change from being alone or from the man that usually chases me around."

Nike's brows knitted together for a moment.

"Which man?"

A spark of anger lit a fire inside the angel. The titaness seemed to pick up on it and gently deflected anything the angel would've said.

"Don't worry he's my fiance, his name is Zeus. A while ago I helped him defeat his father Kronos. He's quite a nice guy really. We always play this game where we change into different animals and he tries to catch me."

Metis let out a light chuckle.

"Oh." Was all the victory goddess managed to say.

The anger made room for a pang of hurt. Nike didn't know why she expected someone like Metis to be single. Of course she would have a fiance she loved and of course she would be loved and adored by a man.

"Either way, what brings someone like you to a place like this?" The titaness of wisdom wondered.

"Someone like-... me?"

The daughter of Styx didn't know what to make of that statement. Was it good? Was it bad?

"Mhm, I'd imagine if I had such majestic wings as your own, I'd be up in the sky all day. So why are you on the ground, keeping me company?"

Nike's thoughts raged through her mind. What was she saying? Didn't Metis want her here? But she invited the angel to sit with her.

For a moment Metis furrowed her brows.

"I'm sorry. Did I say something insensitive?" She wondered.

"Wouldn't be the first time." The titaness added underneath her breath.

"I'm just confused as to why you think I wouldn't want to spend time with you, purely because I can fly?" The victory goddess stated.

"I'd imagine seeing things from up there is much more beautiful."

"Beauty is relative. It's not the sight that keeps you up there. It's the feeling of freedom." Nike said, remembering the wind as it rustled through the feathers of her wings.

"And you'd give up that freedom to sit here next to me?" Metis asked.

"Sometimes it is better to stay grounded." The victory goddess smiled.

Metis raised an intrigued brow at the divine creature in front of her.

"A most interesting statement." She smirked.

Nike blinked and returned back to the present. Suddenly she remembered Athena had asked something of her.

'Tell me what's bothering you.' The angel mentally heard her wife's voice ask again.

"Your mom and I used to be close before you were born." Nike confessed without a second thought.

She didn't want to be thinking about all the reactions Athena could be giving. For a scary long second the wisdom goddess remained quiet.

The angel assumed her wife tended to forget that there was quite the age gap between the two of them. Naturally being immortal it hardly mattered, but it did make for some rather uncomfortable situations sometimes.

"That so? Tell me more."

Even though the victory goddess had expected this day to come it didn't make her dread it any less. The daughter of Styx sighed.

"I used to see her everyday for months. We'd meet at this lake where we first met."

Athena kept her mouth shut, listening carefully to the words her wife was saying and dissecting their meaning.

"It started with me admiring her. Then we got to know each other, became close friends and I-"

Nike stopped herself. She wasn't sure if she wanted Athena to know everything. What if her wife decided this was too much for her and dropped the angel? The victory goddess didn't want to lose the person she cared so much for over something like this.

She doubted she'd be able to handle losing someone who meant so much to her ever again.