Chapter 7 * Metis?

"Metis! I'm so glad I finally see you again I-" Nike started rambling, but she cut herself off when she saw the cold, hard look she received in return.

"Why does everybody keep calling me that?!" The woman in front of her burst out.

Her gray eyes flared with a golden light for a moment.

"My name is Athena! Why can't anybody get that?!" She exclaimed.

Nike swallowed and took a few steps back. How had she been wrong? Was she delusional?  When the angel scanned the being in front of her, she only saw Metis. The sharp face features, the gray eyes, the long dark brown hair.

"Nike!" The victory goddess heard Bia say behind her as she caught up with her.

"I'm so sorry lady Athena. My sister is new to Olympus, she has not met anyone here yet."

Not true, Nike had met the six Olympians and some of their children. However she kept her mouth shut. It didn't seem like a good idea to mention that now.

Athena took a deep breath and sized the angel up. Her brows furrowed. Finally she turned to Bia.

"Let me be very clear, I do not appreciate either of you being in my private quarters. I've had a long and stressful day, but I will let it slide for once. Mainly because I know you Bia and I trust you. I have faith that you wouldn't lie to me."

As she said that Nike saw a golden light ripple across Athena's eyes as if a drop of immortal strength had fallen into the pools of gray.

"Of course not my lady." Bia stated.

"Good. Now go, I'm sure you have places to be and so do I. Don't let it happen again." Athena said.

"No ma'am."

Bia gave a bow. She elbowed Nike in the side. The latter glared at her sister, but followed her example. Athena simply turned around and walked away, deeper and deeper into the hallway.

The victory goddess raised herself to her full length once more. She watched the woman and got hypnotized for a moment. All she could see was Metis on that very first day, bathing in the lake.

"What has gotten into you!" Bia whispered angrily, smacking her sister in the back of the head.

"Auw! What?!" Nike exclaimed.

The goddess of strength brutally grabbed her sister by the arm and pulled them out of Athena's corridor.

"To her us coming in here feels like Kratos and Zelos entering our castle wings unannounced."

"Okay, I see your point. But can you please stop dragging me around like this?"

Bia stopped and turned back to Nike with an angry scowl.

"No, if we get 'lost' again, we can both say goodbye to our jobs. Yours will even be over before it begins."

Athena and Nike left the stables. The angel was glad to hold her wife's hand and rested her head on her shoulder.

"Angel?" The wisdom goddess asked.

The victory goddess hummed in response.

"Could I ask you some things about her?"

Nike lifted her head and looked her wife in the eye. Part of her wondered if Athena was serious. The other knew very well she would never 'just ask'.

"Uh-... Yeah, sure."

The victory goddess didn't exactly want to go down memory lane again. The day had been stressful enough as it was. But she wasn't about to deny Athena information about her mother.