IV

___________________________________________

"Jennie?"

"Hey, Lisa, what's going on?" a slight shift in the phone line, and Jennie switched ears to hear better, "Lisa?"

"Hi, I'm here, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, what's going on?"

"I'm so sorry, it completely slipped my mind, but I have a terrible work dinner that I'm expected to be at right now, and I'll be ridiculously late coming over,"

Jennie laughed, "Wow, that's actually incredibly convenient. Some asshole just put in a lastminute call to the restaurant and wants the private room for 30-85 people, can you believe that?"

Lisa grimaced in sympathy from where she was riding in a taxi, cell phone in hand, "The nerve of people who want what they pay for," she cajoled, and smiled when Jennie barked a laugh, "Anyways, but speaking of coincidences, our dinner is at that restaurant you took me to lunch at, isn't that funny?"

The line went silent for a pause, and when Jennie answered, she seemed to be laughing, "Incredibly funny. Hey, Lisa, I think I'll just see you later, alright?"

Lisa's nod went unseen, but she bade Jennie goodbye and secretly dreaded having to attend this dinner. At least the wine would be good, she thought airily.

Her arrival was met with many professional welcomes, and she grit her teeth and asked the floating waitress for a glass of the Whitehaven, smiling all the while. The girl instantly disappeared, and Lisa suffered through a chat with Mark from payroll, before she reappeared.

"Ma'am, I'm happy to tell you that this bottle was bought for you. On the house," Lisa raised an eyebrow, but smiled.

"Goodness, such kindness, the house truly doesn't know how saving they've just become," she laughed, and the waitress giggled with her. She had probably made her way through half the bottle when a familiar voice called over the party of mingling coworkers.

"Hello, my name is Chef Jennie Kim, and I'm one of the owners here at Ambassador's," Lisa turned, wine in hand at the low, husking voice. Jennie was dressed in a pencil skirt and a blue, feminine button up blouse, "Thank you all for choosing to dine with us, and I hope you'll enjoy some complimentary appetizers,"

She flourished a hand, and a line of servers entered with plates of shrimp, crab cakes, ahi tuna, bruschetta, and various others. Lisa caught the woman's dancing eyes as the company applauded their host. She felt her posture soften considerably and she laughed aloud, possibly looking deranged.

'Of course this is Jennie's restaurant'

When the party cleared, Lisa stayed behind, and Jennie re-entered the room to gloat at her. Lisa rolled her eyes, crossing to the laughing blonde. Jennie treated her to an actual dinner, and bitched about the party while Lisa defended her lack of control.