XVII

___________________________________________

When the pair arrived back at Lisa's apartment, Jennie had swallowed a melancholic sigh

When the pair arrived back at Lisa's apartment, Jennie had swallowed a melancholic sigh. She had been happiest here. Her throat hitched as she spotted a mostly empty bottle of scotch on the coffee table sitting next to two oddly shaped boxes and - oh - a framed photo of her first sonogram.

"You know where the towels are," Lisa said quietly, her fingers fiddling with her keys. Jennie bit her lip and nodded, her middle, pinky, and thumb fingers fidgeting together. It was a ridiculous habit. She's been without the ring for longer than she had it, but the tic wouldn't leave.

She left to the master bathroom, and she flexed her jaw. It was clear Lisa hadn't occupied this space in a long time. The bed was made with the sheets folded over the top of the duvet. Her memory ran a playful argument she and Lisa had fought over one day through her mind; Lisa insisted the duvet covered the entire bed, pillows and all, while Jennie was adamant the sheet folded down. To show off the color scheme.

And there were the sheets, their silk against the top layer. She shook her head. Lisa's apartment was confusing her. Maybe she should have stayed at Jisoo 's empty house.

Jennie felt herself sigh as the heated Jetstream of water hit her face and front. Her hair soaked and she watched as soot ran from her body down the drain. She washed herself in Lisa, and her heart filled with fizzing relief as the scent of the woman's soaps left her feeling protected and clean.

When she was spotless, she stepped out and toweled off. She noticed some clothes set out on the large bed and her chest gave a pained twang. Why was Lisa being so sweet? Because she was still trying to care for her baby? No. Jennie knew that wasn't it.

She was wide awake when she found the living room again the bottle, picture, and boxes were gone. Lisa was seated on the ottoman, her posture taut as a wire. Her hands were clasped and Jennie couldn't see past the woman's mahogany curls. Carefully, she sat adjacent to Lisa on the couch.

Lisa breathed deeply in the stillness, and her body burned. This might be her only chance. She had to know. Had to at least try. She locked eyes with Jennie's, and the woman was startled by the intensity in the forest green stare.

"Why did you leave me?" Lisa asked, her voice thick in her grief. Jennie noted that she didn't ask why she left. Lisa had asked why she left her.

"You really want to do this now?" Jennie asked, her mental walls trying to build. To remember all the reasons, she did leave. But Lisa's liquid green eyes only bore into her pleadingly and nodded.

"I don't know if I'll be brave enough to ask you in the morning,"

Jennie took a strong breath and shook her head, "I couldn't live with someone like you, Lisa," the blonde said tightly.

Lisa felt her heart twist, "O-oh. And why not?"

"You know why," was the icy reply.

"I don't understand!" her misery was turning to confusion and frustration at Jennie's unwillingness to just answer her, "Didn't I make you happy?"