Chapter Three

The ride over to Wilson's Bookstore Cafe was a short but silent one. Marie was driving, her attention focussed on the road ahead, whereas I had my elbow on the passenger side ledge, chin in palm, watching the small town pass by.

Every house that we passed gave a beach vibe, and the size, shape, and colour backed up my observation. Most houses were painted a light or a pale colour, with a distinctive, bold colour for each of the shutters. Each house had a wide front porch and the houses that backed onto the beach each had a wide porch that wrapped around through to the back of the house. Different objects were scattered around each porch which helped decorate the property, but I guess it's also given the house owners some type of individuality.

As we continued driving through the streets of Swansea, we passed many trucks, vans, convertibles, and Corollas. Each car suited the beach life that they roamed in.

I felt Marie's silver Corolla slow down, and a sign which reads 'Wilson's Coffee' in large, dark red block letters, attached to the roof on top of the shop, caught my attention. To its left was a small arts and craft shop and on its right was a Boutique.

As soon as she had parked her car and placed it out of gear, she turned to face me, a small but gentle smile graced upon her face. "So, as you can obviously see, we are here." She stated with a fruity laugh, "I thought it may be best if we go and get all your school stationery first and then head to Bella's Boutique. All the girls your age shop there," she said whilst she pointed out to the store.

"That sounds like a good plan to me." I agreed, "Jeans and a jersey aren't really the best clothes to wear in this heat." I added with a small laugh.

"Lovely. We're meeting Marcus at twelve to have lunch and discuss this job opportunity." She said, whilst opening her door, in which I followed suit.

---

"Martha, dear, are you here?" Marie called out, as we entered the Carlisle Crafts, a soft bell ringing behind us, alerting others of our entrance.

"I'm just out back..." A mature disembodied voice called out, which drifted from what I assumed to be a supply closet behind the wooden counter, "I'll be out in a jiffy."

"Alright, dear." Marie yelled back, she turned to face me, "Ally, how about you have a wee look around? And I will give Martha a hand. You could even start to hunt for what you need. Have you got the list?"

"Right here," I said, answering her question. I flashed her the small piece of paper that had my messy scrawl over it.

"Lovely. I will be out back, just yell out if you need anything." She said with a smile, she turned and walked towards the room behind the counter. I turned around and fully took in my surroundings. Blue, so much blue.

"Wow," I muttered to myself, how did I not notice this as I walked in?

All four walls were painted a pale blue, with dark blue tablecloths covering the display tables and bright blue price signs spotted around the room. The only thing that wasn't blue was the counter that held the cash register.

"That was my first reaction too," I heard a voice say from behind me, causing me to jump and let out a small shriek. I didn't even see anyone else enter the shop. I turned, only to see a tall, curvy, blonde, with bright blue eyes and an apologetic smile on her face. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I did call out a couple of times, trying to get your attention." She added.

"M-Martha must really love blue then," I replied, I was still trying to catch my breath.

She grinned, "You have no idea," she extended a delicate, tanned hand, "I'm Cora, by the way."