Chapter Eight

Monday 6th of June 2013

"It's Ally!"

I hadn't even lifted my finger off Cora's doorbell, but somehow Noah was there, already on the other side. The knob rattled and the door swung open.

He was dressed in his diner uniform and a black jersey. He held a backpack in his hand and his dark brown hair was ruffled as if he had just run his hand through it.

"Good morning, Ally." He greeted as he stood in the doorway. I felt somewhat shy in his presence, not that I found him intimidating or anything but I just felt shy.

"Morning," I replied quietly, a small smile on my lips as I stood awkwardly in the doorway.

"Cora," He yelled again as he pulled the door open further and gestured for me to come in. "Ally's here."

The sound of the front door clicked shut and in the distance another door could be heard shutting, it was followed by the sound of footsteps, which became more noticeable as they got closer.

He frowned and turned his attention back to me, "I'm really sorry Ally but I have to leave. I have to open up the diner and set up." He said as if he was almost remorseful, "It was really good to see you again." He added with a smile and slung his backpack over his shoulder. I could feel my cheeks pinking under his gaze. Why was he affecting me like this? I never blush. "Good luck for today, let me know if you have any problems, okay?"

"I understand, and sure." I answered as I tucked a loose strand of hair that had fallen out of my bun behind my ear, "Have fun at work."

"You're leaving?" Cora asked Noah as she walked up to us, her words muffled by the two bobby-pins that were sticking out of her mouth, her hands, above her head, tying back her hair. She turned to face me, a smile on her face "Hey, Ally,"

"Aha, have the opening shift since Matilda is still on maternity leave."

"Oh, that's right," Cora responded as she took, the bobby-pins out of her mouth and clipped her bangs back. "She's due in a week or so, isn't she?"

Noah nodded and pulled his phone out of his pocket, his face frowning as he glanced at the screen, "Sorry sis, I've gotta go." He turned to grab the door handle, twisting and pulling the door open. "Hey Ally," He said, grabbing my attention, "Don't forget what I said, okay." He added with a wink and closed the door behind him.

I caught my lip between my teeth and could feel my face turning a shade of pink again for the second time this morning, Cora was watching me, clearly amused by what she had witnessed. And for the first time, ever, I knew I was going to be interrogated over a guy.

"I just need to get my bag and then we can go," She said still amused, "I'll be back in a second," She added as she turned and rushed back down the hallway.

I readjusted my handbag strap and let my eyes dance around the entranceway. It was bright and opening, two large pot plants sat on either side of the door, the floor was white tiled right up to the doorway of the hallway and the walls were a beige colour which held pictures in black frames.

Many of the frames held photos of Cora, Noah, and another girl, who I assumed to be Bianca. Like Cora, Bianca was a beautiful, tall, and curvy girl. She had the same nose and hair colour as Cora and the same smile as Noah.

A family portrait caught my eye, each family member looked genuinely happy. Janice and Peter, Cora's parents, were sitting side by side on a black leather couch with a young Cora perched on their knees between them. Noah was sitting in front of his father, even when he was younger he was adorable. He had a huge cheeky grin plastered on his face. Bianca was sitting in front of Janice, blonde hair in pigtails and a huge grin on her face.