Chapter 13 - The Parents

Mr. and Mrs. Kim lived in a serene suburban neighborhood in a beautiful, semi-traditional Korean house. Most of the house building was made of wood, including columns, doors, window frames, and even floors. Mr. Kim hung several paintings from his collection here and there. His love for art didn't stop with his occupation as the Chancellor of Seoul National Institute of Arts, but also extended to his way of living. Everything in this house was to his father's antique taste. And of course, with his mother's artistic touches.

"Eomma, we're home!" Jin and Jungkook arrived almost at dinner time.

"My babies!" His mother trotted hastily to the front door to welcome them. "Welcome home! Oh Honey! Oh I missed you both so much!" She then hugged and kissed them one by one. "Why don't you come home more often?"

"I miss you too, Eomma. Oh wow, you cooked a lot today."

"Of course! Both of you are coming, I should feed you well." She took them to the dining room. "Come on, sit. Jungkook, how is your study, honey? Seokjin, who will close the cafe tonight? Oh yeah, your dad is still taking a shower, but he will join us soon. Now, tell me all about you lately!"

According to his mom's rule, mealtime should only be accompanied by happy conversations. So there they were, talking about all the nice and good things along the dinner, catching up with each other since the last time they met. Their chats were full of laughter, like always. Until the dinner was over and the four of them moved into the living room, with a calmer mood and a more serious atmosphere.

"Here, Seokjin-ah!" His mom handed him a cup of warm chamomile tea with honey, the same one Jin once made for Taehyung. She then sat right next to him on the sofa.

From Jungkook's panicked phone call that night, her mother could sense something was up with her eldest son. The calmest, most caring, and considerate son of hers. In the past, a thing like this happened only once, when he broke up with that rich girl. That was when his happy, cheerful son suddenly became a gloomy, quiet, and reserved one.

"So....?" She started, and looked at her husband across from her.

Jin chuckled. He knew, it was time for him to spill the tea. "It was about Yoo-ri, Eomma. All these years, I always had a thought that we might have a baby that I didn't know of..." Those words made the three of them quite shocked, as Jin never told them about it. "That's why it's hard for me to move on before I know the truth." Jin continued. Now Jungkook understood why.

"That day, I coincidentally met his brother again, so I confirmed my suspicion. And no, I never had a baby with her." Jin smiled at them and stroked his mother's hands on his.

"Oh, Honey! Come here!" She stretched her arms and side-hugged him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay now. I feel relieved finally, after all these years." He assured his mother, while Mr. Kim nodded and smiled at him understandingly.

"Glad to hear it, then." She patted Jin's hands. "Now, it's time for you to find another girl and have a baby for real, then!" Her words stung Jin. He and Jungkook exchanged glances. Jin then lowered his gaze onto his lap.

"I have found someone..." He said in a low tone.

"Oh, wow! Great!" Her voice sounded an excitement.

"He's a wonderful person... I want you guys to meet him one day..."

"...Him...?" His mom looked at her husband in confusion. Did she hear it right? Mr. Kim straightened his body on his seat.

"Yeah, he's a man." Jin gulped, still looking down.

Her mother now looked at Jungkook who gave her a nod and a smile. "He's a good guy, Eomma. I saw how he took good care of Jin Hyung." He tried to support his brother. Jin gave him a thankful smile.