Chapter Four, Rika's Day Job

Hello everyone! Thanks to everyone who fanned voted and left a comment. And sorry I haven't uploaded in a while, I was moving to another state so I was a little busy. Oh, and I changed the spelling of Erin's name to 'Aaron'. I like 'Erin' more but I found out only girls can spell it with an E. Anyway, please enjoy the chapter! ^.^

~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~{Chapter Four, Rika's Day Job}~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~

 Rika

After arriving at the diner, I set Aaron up at the counter and told him to get started on his home work.

   “Casey!” Al said from in the kitchen. “Can I talk to you ‘a minute?” I looked through the long glassless window that separated the drink area behind the bar and kitchen. Al stood over the grill, cooking. The rest of the diner was normal, red and white checkered floors and walls, red booths and other waitresses running around serving people.

   “Sure Al.” I said then placed my coat on the back of Aaron’s chair. Walking into the kitchen, I said. “What do you need?”

   “Saw ya last night on TV.” He stated plainly.

   “And?” I asked getting inpatient.

   “You sold it yet?” he asked, referring to the diamond.

   “No, not that I know of, Jake went out this morning to sell it. He hasn’t come here yet?”

   “Nope, but I’m surprised you came in today. Quite a fall that was.” He said, for the first time looking up. His greasy stained apron covered his tan pants and green tee shirt. Brown unkempt hair just about covered his dull brown eyes. If I had to guess, Al was probably in his late forties.

   “Jump.” I corrected over my shoulder, walking into eating area to begin taking peoples orders.

   The day continued, filling orders waiting on impatient people, and occasionally helping Aaron with his homework. Just then the bell above the door dinged, signaling a new costumer. I turned and saw it was Jake. He acted casual then seated himself on a stool at the counter. Aaron looked up from his homework and smiled at Jake.

   “What can I do for you Mr. Jade?”  I acted, pulling out my note book. No one was seat near us so I leaned on the counter and whispered.  “Did you sell it?”

   “Yeah, I got one mil’ for it from a Russian billionaire.” he stated coolly.

   “Wow,” I sighed. That landing was so worth it. “Do you think you could take Aaron home? I think he’s bored.” We both turned to look at the small boy who was now balancing a pencil on his nose.

   “Sure,” standing up, Jake grabbed Aaron’s back pack, “Let’s go home Aaron.” He said. Wordlessly, the blonde haired boy gathered his stuff and followed Jake.

   “Bye Aaron.” I said, giving him a sad smile.

   “Bye.” Smiling and waving, Aaron walked out the door. I sighed again, becoming depressed.

   I didn’t want to be stuck there for another four hours. It was already 6pm. The diner had slowed down, leaving only three costumers. I put my elbows on the counter and leaned my face into my hands.

   “Ugh, I like my other job more!” I mumbled under my breath.

   October 7th, 10:13pm.

   I sighed as I pulled into one of the many empty parking spaces in front of our ‘apartment’ building. I walked through the fake lobby, Jake would sometimes sit down here and just hang out, and made my way to the elevator. Quinn had rigged it to where you needed an I.D. code to enter the higher levels. I hastily punched in my code, before the elevator began to rise. The elevator didn’t run the full height of the building so it didn’t take long to reach the 4th floor, the beginning of our home/hideout.  Stepping out of the elevator door, I proceeded to the only door on the level.

   I walked through the door, only to be greeted by Aaron slamming into me and gripping my legs tightly.

   “Hello to you too, Aaron” I grunted.

   “Hey Rika!” Jake shouted from the living room couch. Painfully, I pried Aaron off me and walked into the living room.

“How was work?” Jake asked lazily.

   I plopped down next to Jake with a wince followed promptly by a sigh. “Boring. You should try it sometime.” I stated Dryly.

   “Eh, day jobs’, not really my thing.”

   I chuckled and snatched the remote out of his hand, “Did you see the news report?” I questioned, flipping channels.

   “Sure did. Congrats’ on being ‘infamous ’” His voice dripped with sarcasm.

   I stopped on the new station and stood up. “Thank you, Thank you.” I sung as I bowed.

   “And so humble.”

   “Well of course,” I smirked. “No one likes a pompous thief.” Then, turning my attention once again to the T.V, I sat down just as the news report about me came on.

   “They’ve been running it all day” Jake stated, suddenly becoming serious.

   “I didn’t get to see it all.”

   We watched as the scene played once again before us.

   Ash Holden.

   “That’ll never work.” I said, completely opposed to their idiotic scheme. The Chief, detective Brendan, and myself were in the dank, miniscule conference room. They were telling me of their plan to catch the Fire Thief.

   “On the contrary, detectiveHolden, it’s timed perfectly. The annual ‘citizen of the year’ award ball is coming up. What better way to lure a thief then with a gold trophy? We’ll even make it a masquerade ball.” Chief Kinden said excitedly, clearly giving more credit to his plan then it deserved.

   “She’ll never fall for that, she’ll know it’s a trap.”

   “Even so, she won’t be able to resist the bait.” Detective Brendan said maliciously.

   Knowing the plan would never work, I kept silent. They probably wouldn’t have listened to me anyway. After all, only a complete fool would fall for such an obvious trap

~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~

What did you think? I think the grammar is much better in this chapter XD Vote, Fan Comment ^.^