Chapter Seven, Stealing the Show

“Is this a hold up?” I asked sarcastically, sticking my hands in the air. 

   “I’m here to stop a robbery, not commit one.” Said the voice. It sounded male and vaguely familiar.

   “Oh are you?” I turned toward the mysterious person. I came face to face with the gun, but instead of focusing on it, I looked past it to the person that held it. In the dim light of the room I could just make out the mess of black hair and a crimson mask. The private detective I danced with, Ash Holden, stood in front me. He looked pretty determined too.

   “Haha, you scared me there, detective.” I loosened up and continued to get ready.

   “Put your hands in the air, where I can see them.” He sounded so serious; it made me want to laugh.

   “Lighten up will you?” Clipping my belt around my waist, I turned to him. “Oh, and that won’t work.”

   He briefly looked puzzled before frustration over powered his handsome features . In one quick motion, he aimed at the ground and pulled the trigger. Of course, nothing happed except for a loud click. Holden looked at the gun, shocked, before pulling the trigger several more time, all with the same result.

   “Looking for these?” I asked, extending my open palm. In my hand, six bullets shined in the dim light.

   “How did you…?”

   “You dance beautifully, by the way.” I smirked.

   “That was-” His eyes went wide as he stuttered.

   “Me? Yes, yes it was. Boy you’re a sharp one, aren’t you?” I asked sarcastically. “I mean come on I’m even wearing the same mask.” I pointed to the silver mask, the last part of my disguise that I hadn’t taken off.

   Holden seemed to regain some sense of composure, because his whole demeanor changed. His once shocked expression became hard and strong as he looked me straight in the eyes.

   “Who are you?” He asked sternly, as if threatening me. Though, now, he didn’t have anything to threaten me with.

   “Who are you?” I copied.

   “You already know who I am.”

   “That’s right, I do.” I laughed.

   “Fire Thief? Who are you talking to? Are you okay?” Quinn’s worried voice came through my comms unit.

   “You didn’t answer my question.” Holden gritted his teeth and clenched his fists.

   “Who is that?” Quinn asked, but I couldn’t answer her, not in front of him.

   “Sorry, I’m not in the habit of answering dumb questions, detective.”

   “I think it’s a reasonable question. After all, everyone in this entire city is just dying to know.” He took a step forward. I held my ground. There’s no way I would allow myself to be scared by him.

   I smirked evilly. “Well I wouldn’t want to disappoint my fans, if you really want to know.” Taking a step forward, I reached behind my head and untied my mask.

   “Fire Thief, what are you doing?” Quinn sounded panicked.

   Holden’s mouth fell agape when he realized what I was doing. My silver mask gently slipped off my face and my smirk only grew wider. The detective’s mouth snapped shut and he groaned in frustration. I can see why he was upset; the poor guy thought he was going to see the face of the great Fire Thief, and instead, my black mask had been under my silver one the whole time. He saw nothing.