eight.

Jisung and Minho ended up sitting next to each other, their backs against the school wall and their knees barely touching. 

"So what do you-" Minho paused, clearing his throat awkwardly. "What did you want to, er, talk about?" His voice was quiet and cautious, eyes glancing wearily at the tables of students around him. 

Jisung looked down at his lap. "I actually kind of want to, um, apologize to you." 

Minho's eyebrows quirked up a little. "You didn't do anything wrong." 

"Yeah, I did," Jisung said quietly, sighing a little. "I- I mean, I obviously offended you that one time in the bathroom and I know you said you didn't wanna talk about it but it really wasn't my intention to, you know, stare or anything. I've had some really bad experiences at my past schools so I guess seeing people treat you how they treated you just made me feel- protective? I don't know if that's the right word and I know I sound really dumb right now but I just wanted to be your friend and I'm sorry that I overstepped boundaries with you. And I'm also sorry that after you, you know, found out and all that, I'm sorry I pushed you away. I'm just pretty- um- nervous, if you can't tell, haha." 

Minho's eyes lit up as he listened to Jisung's apology, making Jisung's cheeks turn slightly pinker. 

"I really don't see why you're apologizing when you did nothing wrong," Minho said with a small smile. "But I forgive you." 

"Okay, uh, cool," Jisung squeaked out, all confidence from just a second ago completely gone as he looked down at his lap in embarrassment. 

Minho gave Jisung a little nod, looking down at his own lap with pink cheeks. "Yeah, cool." 

Jisung examined his shoes quietly, frowning a little and trying to push away the exhilaration and shyness of having Minho simply look at him so he could actually think clearly. Because he had done something wrong, and he didn't want Minho to just dismiss it as if he hadn't tried to avoid interacting with Minho at all in front of other people. Because that was wrong. And mean. And just stupid in general. 

Yeah, it was fucking stupid

"Well actually," Jisung started, playing with a loose thread on the end of his pants, "you shouldn't accept my apology, okay?" 

Minho watched Jisung's fingers toying with the thread, neither of them making eye contact with each other. "What do you mean? I'm not gonna refuse to forgive someone who didn't do anything wrong. That's dumb." He said the statement as if it meant something more to him than just this moment. 

"But I did do something wrong," Jisung argued. "And this- this is really fucking difficult for me, okay? But just hear me out." 

"I did hear you out. And it's all okay. How about we talk about how you're wearing the bracelet I made you?" 

Jisung snapped his head up, glancing at Minho, who was sitting there with a smile barely dancing on his lips and a teasing tone weaved into his soft, quiet, timid voice. 

Jisung hurried to cover his wrist with his hand, his face turning scarlet as he hurriedly looked down at his lap again. "You- fuck off! I'm trying to be real and serious and, and apologize! But you're just making me feel all- ugh! No, we're not, we're not- no. Not talking about that." 

Minho let out a loud laugh, eyes crinkling and lips curving upward. 

Jisung let out a huff of breath, exasperated by his failed attempt to make Minho acknowledge that he had done something wrong- because he had! 

"Anyway," Jisung let out in a strained, embarrassed voice, "I didn't just push you away. And I wanna address it, because I'm scared of my stupid-ass insecurities causing it to happen again even though I don't want it to at all, god, but anyway. Communication is important in relationships- like, all types of relationships, not just, you know, ugh. Never mind." Jisung dropped his face into his lap. "Never fucking mind," he muttered.