Chapter 12

CW: drunk consent, drunken hookup, sort-of one night stand with a stranger?, drunk making out, fingering, etc. alcohol consumption, underage drinking

You find yourself standing in Spencer's living room, arms crossed, holding your folded dirty coat as he stumbled over finding some fragment of an explanation. The blonde woman looks between the two of you, clearly privy to what was going on. It didn't take a profiler to figure out what the two of you had been doing less than ten minutes ago.

"Hi, I'm Y/N, Spencer's friend," you say after several painstaking seconds of awkward silence. The blonde smiles warmly at you, introducing herself as Jennifer. She returned her attention to Spencer who seemed to have finally stopped short-circuiting.

"I'm sorry. I let myself in with the key you gave me when I realized you weren't home- I was just dropping off the rest of those case files you asked for." Jennifer gestures to a stack of manila folders on his countertop, each one stamped with an official 'CONFIDENTIAL' label. Spencer musters a coherent apology, telling her not to worry as you wonder who exactly this woman is. She clearly had to be important – and close to Spencer – if she possessed a key to his apartment.

"I was going to see if you wanted to get a head start on these before I realized you had company..." Her voice trails off, her gaze shifting from Spencer to you. "I should probably get going," she adds, reaching for her coat and purse that she had put on his couch.

"No- no, it's really alright, I was just about to take Y/N home," you hear Spencer say, although at first, you're convinced he's joking. You watch Jennifer's blue eyes widen as she shakes her head, the gears seeming to click in place inside her mind. You open your mouth, attempting to find the right words to question Spencer with, but before you can stammer your way through a sentence, you hear Jennifer speak up.

"No, Spence, really- I'm going to head home. I'll call you tomorrow afternoon and we can discuss the case then." She insists, giving the both of you a polite smile as she gathered her things and headed towards the door- at least she was seemingly on your side. Spence? Interesting.

She bids the two of you a goodnight, telling you it was a pleasure to meet you. You return the kind words, despite not really meaning them, as you try to wrap your head around Spencer's current behavior. Spencer's still trying to convince her that it's alright if she stays as she shuts the door behind her. Blinking, you turn to him, briefly considering if you had just imagined the past five minutes.

"What the fuck was that?" You question, your gaze boring into him, irritation coursing through your veins. If Spencer hears you, he doesn't respond, instead already having opened the first file. You clear your throat loudly, hoping to earn his attention, but he remains fixated on whatever gruesome details the file held. The irritation burning through you caused a flush to spread across your cheeks and chest.

"Who was she?" You ask, your voice louder this time, your frustration no longer subtle. He looks up from the folder in his hands, his gaze settling on you as if he's surprised to see you still standing there. You shake your head at him, wondering how someone could be so oblivious.

"A good friend." He simply says and continues inspecting the contents of the file. Rolling your eyes at him, you have to stop yourself from giving him a murderous glare, feeling immensely exasperated. You bite your lip, swallowing the first few explicatives that threaten to escape your mouth. Drawing in a deep breathe to steady yourself, you exhale before approaching Spencer.

"Spencer, were you really just going to ditch me for her?" You try to hide the hurt in your voice, crossing your arms against your chest once more as you let your coat fall to the floor. Spencer shakes his head in reply, his eyes still not lifting up from the papers in his grasp, earning a sigh of relief from you. You smile softly, feeling yourself beginning to relax. You're perched beside him now, leaning slightly against his counter as you steal a quick peak at some of the files. You catch a glimpse of what looks to be a coroner's report, along with a few rather gruesome murder scene photos. Major yikes to say the least.