12. Misunderstanding

I caught the melted part of my popsicle which was about to drip down with my tongue. The blazing sun had long retreated past the horizon, but it was still a hot night.

Nolan was holding on to a disposable cup with a rectangular block of ice I'd frozen for him in the freezer. Occasionally, he sipped the ice water that had melted into the cup. He'd said that he was fine without anything, but I'd insisted. In this weather, no amount of ice was too much.

Even he was sweating a little too--I could see the beads beginning to form on his forehead.

My arms felt sticky with sweat. The back of my shirt had dampened enough to begin clinging to my skin.

"I hope the beach is cooler," I mumbled. "I'm about to melt into a puddle."

We'd been here for five days, and it was fun showing him around to all my favorite childhood spots, including the rooftop of my house.

"It's not that bad." His voice was soft. "I kind of like it when it's hot."

As we continued strolling, him trailing slightly behind me because I was leading the way to the beach, the sound of faint meowing reached my ears. I disregarded it at first, because many of the residents here in our suburb owned cats that freely roamed the neighborhood.

Then Nolan turned his head upwards and began looking around.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"Do you hear a cat? It sounds like it's coming from above."

There were some trees up ahead, to the left of the sidewalk we were walking on.

The look on Nolan's face was one of utmost concentration, and he slowly took steps forward.

As I followed him, the meowing seemed to grow louder until it was undeniably close.

Finally, he came to a halt at a sturdy-looking elm tree. A familiar-looking calico cat sat on one of the higher branches, repeatedly meowing. Even in the darkness that was rapidly falling over us, I could see its little mouth moving with each cry.

"Hey, I know that cat," I said. "That's my neighbor Mrs. Vincent's cat. I see her around the neighborhood every time I'm back home on break. She's really friendly."

"She probably can't get down."

"Can you hold this for me?" he said, handing me his cup of ice. "I'll get her down."

Taking it, I beamed at him. "My animal hero. I'll be rooting for you!"

"I'll try to come back in one piece," he said dryly.

He climbed up the tree with that nimbleness and agility I'd gotten used to seeing. Nolan grabbed onto the base of the branch Chestnut the cat was stranded on with one hand, then heaved himself up onto it.

He stretched out a hand to Chestnut, whispering something that I couldn't hear from where I was. Chestnut stared at him and made no move to retreat.

Slowly, Nolan crept across the branch and reached out for her. Chestnut hissed rather loudly and moved one hind leg backwards. Nolan stopped his movements and said something to her.

He inched forward again until he was right in front of Chestnut.

Then he pulled Chestnut into his arms and called out, "Chelsea, stand back. I'm going to jump."

"Okay," I said, hastily taking several steps back from the tree.

Without any ceremony, he rolled right off the branch and landed on the ground on both feet.

"Whoa, that was ... abrupt," I said, my heart still beating a little faster than usual.

"But I told you I was going to jump."