23. Experiment

I glanced down at my phone's stopwatch function.

Thirty minutes.

Resolving to at least finish running past that red maple tree about twenty feet away, I pushed through the aching in my lungs and the pain in my legs to jog a bit faster. My own footfalls were so satisfying to hear as my shoes hit the ground.

When I finally made it, I slowed to a walk and panted to my heart's content. Although the cold air almost pierced my lungs, I was thankful that it made exercising that much more comfortable.This early in the morning—the sun hadn't risen yet—the campus grounds were quiet save for the footsteps of a few other joggers.

I had been feeling so restless lately, my sleep quality had plummeted. I woke up at 6:00 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep. I tried to read a novel I was in the middle of, but I couldn't focus on the story. In the end, after more tossing and turning, I threw on some exercise gear and headed downstairs for a jog, hoping it would energize me.

Some light entered the sky, bits of orange creeping into the dark blue. I strolled back to the large red maple tree from earlier and leaned against the reassuringly solid trunk to gaze up at the sky. There was still time to watch the sun rise before I had to return to my dorm to get ready for my classes.

Gradually, the sun started to peek out from behind the clouds, moving over the horizon.

If sunlight was a legitimate cure, Nolan could stand here beside me, basking in the warmth of the golden rays. I was abruptly gripped with a longing so intense, it almost hurt.

I wouldn't have to worry about keeping him away from my family or friends, or worry about hiding our relationship in public anymore.

I'd been mulling this over and over while I was home, unable to fully enjoy my quality time with my parents. I wanted so badly for what Sylvan said to be true.

From the beginning, I had thought that this was it—that Nolan would have to live the rest of his life as a vampire, and that I would have to live the rest of mine to accommodate to that fact. I had never given any thought to the idea that Nolan could become human again. My view of our future together was adjusted in accordance to that.

For the first time since I'd learned about Nolan's situation, I felt hopeful. Hopeful that he could become normal, hopeful that he could live freely again, not bound by the sun's position in the sky, hopeful that we could stay together and I wouldn't look like a creep in ten years' time.

It didn't help that Mr. Lawson, during the car ride to the airport, basically thanked me for coming into Nolan's life and drawing him out of his reclusive armor. He'd all but implied he would be grateful if I continued to be with him despite the difficulties we might face.

I mean, no pressure, right?

Sighing, I looked down at my last text conversation with Nolan. He'd asked me to meet him after my morning lectures today. He hadn't given me a reason why. Truth be told, I had an inkling as to what he wanted to do. There was no other reason for us to meet during the day when every inch of his body was fighting to be asleep.

I didn't feel like doing anything today.

I wanted to curl up in bed with one of my beloved novels and not think about any of this.

When the dark blue and orange mix of the sky faded into the usual pale, mild color, I stretched and headed back to my room to get ready for class. I attended the first couple of lectures, sitting with Jenna because we took those courses together, and then gave Nolan a call.

"Are you getting lunch?" Jenna asked, brushing her hair to one side.

The electric blue highlights in her black hair had been switched out for bright pink. She had begun to look harried at the end of last semester, but now she was positively glowing.