28. Sunrise

Nolan scarfed down the three slices of French toast on his plate like he hadn't eaten in years. I supposed that was technically true, discounting yesterday's meals. He'd probably eaten slowly then because his body was slowly acclimatizing to its changes.

"I actually managed to sleep last night," he told me. "And I don't feel half-dead being awake in the morning. I'm still getting used to it."

The happiness in his voice was almost palpable. I couldn't help myself—I reached over and ruffled his soft, fine hair.

"And you can eat food now," I said.

"And not end up puking afterwards," he said. "It was the weirdest thing ever, being full and feeling sleepy instead of needing to run for the toilet bowl."

I returned his grin. I was so excited—both for him and myself. But most of all, I was happy that he could finally become normal like he'd been wanting for the longest time.

"And I won't need to worry about going to family gatherings anymore. Or going to yours." He drained half his cup of orange juice. "I missed eating so much."

"I'm so happy for you." I reached over and hugged him.

All the previous worries I had had all just vanished in the blink of an eye.

His arms went around me in a strong embrace.

"Your muscles are still here," I commented, caressing his biceps out of curiosity.

His arms were still as toned as ever.

He chuckled. "Yeah, probably because of all the exercise I got in forests at night. Not to mention all the piggyback rides I gave you. But the super strength is definitely gone."

"On the bright side, now you don't need to make late night trips to the forest anymore!"

"You know what, even losing whatever physical so-called advantages I had is also a pro," he said. "I'm just happy to be normal now."

He pressed his forehead to mine, still grinning widely.

I myself was also still getting accustomed to his warm body temperature. I could grab his hand at any time now, or kiss him on the cheek, and it would be warm to the touch. I loved it so much. He probably loved it even more than me, since now he wouldn't have to rely on body warmers in his hoodie to feel warm anymore.

"Let's go for a walk after this. We can even get brunch, if you're up for it. My treat."

That got me to laugh. "You just ate breakfast!"

"Okay," he said, shrugging. "Early lunch, then."

"Isn't that the same thing?"

"Are you turning down free food? I've never known you to do that."

"I'm just pointing out your sudden black hole of a stomach," I said. "Of course I'm up for free food. Let's go."

"Walk first." He tapped my nose with his index finger, and I squealed and ducked away with a giggle. When I poked his cheek as payback, he turned his head until he could kiss the tip of my finger.

"Yes, yes," I said. "We'll walk until you've had your fill of the sun first."

---------------------------------------------------

Nolan kept eating snacks on our drive back to campus.

It wasn't that he was gobbling down bags of chips one after another, but he kept reaching for another chip every couple of minutes. After the fourth time of unclipping the bag for him, I left it open on my lap for his convenience.