-07-

Chapter 7
First Year: Petty thoughts and Slytherin respect
————————————————

Chapter 7First Year: Petty thoughts and Slytherin respect————————————————

September 2nd, 1991, The great hall

Sitting in the great hall next to Adrian, she ate her custard pie in peace, soaking in the warmth of the great hall. The first year Slytherins had their first flying lessons after DADA and it was a bit chaotic.

It was going well until Neville Longbottom got hurt, Madam Hootch had specificity told the combined class of Gryffindor's and Slytherins to not go anywhere off the ground.

She was fine with that, she sucked at flying and wasn't fond of making a fool of herself in front of everyone, so she turned to Theo, the only other who wasn't interested in learning to fly.

It was going so well, and that never went well for anyone, because Harry and his group of 'friends' approached her.

"Sister!" He head called out, his hand on her shoulder, turning her around to face him. With a close look at him she could see stress in his eyes, a letter poking out of his robes.

"Harry" She responded, stepping back towards Theo. "What can I do for you?"

"You didn't come with Mum and Dad to Dumbledore's office to get resorted, and with the papers this morning I was just wondering if your doing okay? We can still get you resorted, into Gryffindor!"

This earned a few nods from his lackeys, they had obviously practiced this, knowing- hoping that she would agree to him, the-boy-who-lived, her family. But she didn't believe he was family.

"I apologise if this isn't the answer you seek Harry, but I am perfectly content with staying in Slytherin, they have been welcoming and kind to me unlike our family before our letters came." she watched as his face fell, eyes cringing.

He opened his mouth to say something else before spotting something behind her, it was Draco with Longbottom's rememberall.

"You all good there Caroline?" Adrian asked, snapping her out of her daydream. She nodded her head, gripping her goblet a tad bit tighter, she wasn't good, she was annoyed that these people had the nerve to try these things.

First they forget her, the Potter heiress, their child, for her own twin, all because he supposedly 'vanquished' some guy. Given that not even Dumbledore himself couldn't do that everyone was so worked up about it, for the past ten years. 

Second, one remembering she actually existed, they tried fixing(?) their absolutely shattered bond, she wasn't looking for her family now, she hadn't since she woke up after a nightmare and was comforted by her own house elf, she needed her mother then, not now.

Third, after sending her off to Hogwarts after their failed attempts, they try getting her re-sorted after she had met the only people aside from her godfather and the twins that didn't look at her with disdain, they tried getting her away from her fiends, the people who make her feel welcomed.

And now? well, they're just not stopping, bringing in Dumbledore, the press and even their own son to try and change her perspective of her sorting, of her life. Caroline was quite pissed.

"Well if you say so.." She noticed Adrian didn't look convinced, but she could apologise later, away from prying eyes that hadn't left her since this afternoons flying lessons.

"Hey, what Malfoy doing?" she heard someone ask, looking over she spotted Draco on the other side of the hall, over by the Gryffindor table, once again, on the opposite side of the hall.  

He held his chin up high, and in the two days Caroline had known him, she had dubbed it his peacock pose. Sighing she stood, Viola finishing her water before joining her over to the Gryffindor table.

"-course he has" She heard Ron start, "I'm his second, who's yours?" 

Viola having understood what was happening immediately rose her voice, coming to stand behind the small blond.

"I am, got a problem Ronald" The three boys snapped their heads towards the pair of girls, Draco wore a small smile before his smirk came back out, Viola was one of the fastest to get to charms in their class today. 

"Yeah, Midnight alright? We'll meet in the trophy room; that's always unlocked" Turning of his heal, Draco grabbed Caroline and Viola's wrists dragging them off towards the dungeons. 

————————* 

The group of five had decided that after today they would spend the rest of their day, or night, chilling in the common rooms. So, now sitting on a couch beside one of the fireplaces, Viola spilled everything that happened at the great hall to Blaise and Theo.

"-and so I was like, 'I am, got a problem Ronald!' and I swear he almost fainted, I'm great I know, you're welcome Draco" Caroline would have chuckled, but Draco didn't know how to duel, and despite the amazingness of Viola, she absolutely didn't know how either.

"Yes, thank you for helping me, I'm so grateful" His response was the most sarcastic thing she had ever heard, and her godfather was always sarcastic. 

"Draco, Viola" Caroline began with a sigh, gaining the attention of her friends, "You can't actually think of doing this can you? I mean come on you don't even know how to duel, much less win in a duel" 

Her words gained a frown from Draco, and a stumble from Viola.

"Come on Caroline! They could win, I mean its these two we're talking about. And, they're going up against the-boy-who-lived, if anything they have to win, take him down a notch!" Blaise was very enthusiastic about the idea, supporting them all the way.

"Yes, I know they need to be taken down a notch, but come on, you're a Slytherin. Use your brain for a second and not your heart." 

They had gained the attention of the entire common room by now, with Blaise's near yelling and Viola's story telling, everyone was watching the first year group.

"Then what do you suggest Caroline?" Theo asked, watching from the side-lines, a book in his hands.  She thought for a second, what did she suppose they do?

"We tell Professor Snape or someone that we heard that Harry and Ron were talking about exploring the castle tonight, after everyone's gone to bed, around the third floor and trophy room." 

As she sounded out her quick thinking, the Slytherin's, the older ones who she hadn't spoken too yet looked upon her, appraising her thinking. Adrian sat with his own group, a small smile gracing his face, and Gemma sat by her group, nodding along.

"I'm on prefect duty tonight, so I can tell Snape, he'll get Potter and Weasley" Gemma exclaimed, startling the group who thought nobody was paying attention.

"If you would be so inclined Gemma, thank you" With a nod from the girl, and a newfound respect sitting on everyone's shoulders for the young female, the first-year group set off to their dorms.