10 October - Evidence Review: Hidden Messages

Frozen. Fog hovered. An icy chill melded. Eyes wide open, I stared at the ceiling. Tentacled cracks rippled through the creamy surface. Bits of paint flaked and fluttered—butterflies which danced around my stiff body. A delicate blue haze illuminated.

Soft foam pressed against my spine, as well as my hips, head, and heels. The familiar sensation of the comforter graced my lower half. I knew I still remained in my room. Yet, something seemed off; unbalanced. My mind swirled and vision twirled, as if I observed the world through the mirror of a funhouse. And the silence? It deafened. The room itself seemed to exist outside the boundaries of reality.

Exerting tremendous force, I thrust myself to a sitting position and gazed at my surroundings. Heavy weight against my feet caught my attention first. The black tourmaline Jackson had placed at the foot of my bed nestled between my arches, cradled by the blanket. Bright light reflected from its core. Millions of tiny rays, each the size of a pin, pierced the darkness. A glowing halo, they showered me in their neon blue hue; the very same haze I witnessed upon awakening.

Center of the room, the bed remained. Chalk and salt circled. The dream catcher endured; attached to the headboard. Only one thing was missing.

Jackson.

Alone and vulnerable, I clutched the comforter. My breathing quickened. My heart raced. Taking a deep breath, I exhaled to calm my jittery nerves. As expected, it came.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

The sound echoed from down the hall. Knuckles ghostly white, my hands trembled.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

Closer. The shadow neared. My thoughts flashed to the Bible but it remained beyond reach. Out of luck, out of time. Desperate, I snatched the tourmaline from my feet. Fiery warmth immediately surged from the stone through my fingertips and to my entire body.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

Arriving at the door, the shadow halted. A low, deep snarl slipped beneath the door.

Bang!

Nearly jumping from my skin, I yelped as the walls quaked. The shadow pounded upon the door. Snarls, growls, and ferocious lion roars followed. What I didn't expect to hear . . . was a voice. After the tenacious bellows quieted, it spoke.

"Release," the voice hissed.

One word, soft and extended; every syllable precisely articulated. So faint, I couldn't be sure if it existed in reality or simply in my delirious mind. Another thunderous bang and a ghastly exhale resounded.

Heart racing, I moved to leap from the bed. My body hesitated, refusing to obey instructions. Something, deep inside, told me to stay. I listened. Though, anxious skepticism thrashed in my soul.

A bloodcurdling wail—louder than a banshee's shriek—reverberated. The entire house rattled. My head throbbed and I gasped. My vision blurred. I choked for air.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

The stomping resumed; this time, headed away from my door. Their echoes resonated, pounding drum beats against my skull, as the world faded to black.

                                                       * * * * *

Numb and cold, my fingers trembled. Every muscle in my body ached, as if I'd fought in an epic battle. My lungs burned. My head still throbbed. The nightmare had ended, though its aftershock persisted to drain.

Ringing echoed; a phantom song, a distant recollection. The resonating thuds of the shadow entity played in a loop inside my mind, growing fainter and fainter until they disappeared completely. Despite no longer being able to hear them, the vibrations had been carved into my brain. Their memory lingered beneath a fog of unease.