Chapter 1

Zinovia POV

I sit idly on the hard metal bench in the Dauntless tattoo parlor. I was waiting for Tori to come out of the backroom to come and wipe down my arm with antiseptic. I'm getting a family tattoo with my mom and dad. Three flames. One is filled with black ink, the other two are left hollow. My filled one is going to be closest to the bend in my left elbow, the other two above it will be hollow. My mom's getting her filled one in the middle, and my dad's getting his at the top.

I already have... twelve tattoos. I have devil horns and an angel halo in color on my shoulders. A black hourglass marks my abdomen, and the Dauntless flames are on my left ankle. There's a figure 8 on the side of my left middle finger and an armband of flames is on my right bicep. The phrase 'Be Brave' in calligraphy is marking the bottom of my spine. I also have lines starting at my armpits, down the inside of my arms, to the tip of my middle fingers, and then lines from where my ass and thighs meet to right above my heels. And finally, I have angel wings with a halo above them, the letters ZCH in the middle. Standing for Zachary Caleb Hunt. My brother, who jumped over the chasm with his fiancȩ.

Yeah yeah, I know, I have lots of tattoos, but that's nothing in comparison to the number of piercings I have.

I have a standard lobe, transverse lobe, and an upper lobe piercing in both ears. Then there's the orbital, helix, and industrial piercings in my right ear, and the snug, rook, and forward helix piercings in my left ear. Nine. And that's just my ears. I have a septum piercing in my nose, snake bite, and venom piercings on my bottom lip and tongue. An eyebrow piercing through my right eyebrow and a navel piercing in my stomach. Fourteen. Twenty-one extra holes in my body. A normal woman has nine holes. Count if you want.

Tori came back with the antiseptic wipes and pulled my arm toward herself roughly.

"Back again, are we?" Tori asked as she wiped my arm vigorously, making my cocoa skin glow a faint red.

"Yeah, but this time I'm here with my parents," I said, "And there's a proper reason behind this one."

"Care to share?" Tori asked while she prepped the needle and grabbed a stool to put between my legs to rest my arm on.

"Sure," I said with a small shrug, making my funnel top shift further down my chest, I don't mind, "My initiation is tomorrow, the aptitude test was today, but you already know that. My parents are worried I might leave. I've told them so many damn times that I'm not leaving. The only place I'd fit in other than Dauntless would be the Factionless."

Tori looked around the room quickly with wide eyes before refocusing on my arm and the buzzing needle. She placed the needle to my skin and the wince that would normally accompany the - now slight - pain is so pathetic I can't believe this ever hurt.

"What were your aptitude test results?" Tori asked suddenly, my eyes snapped to hers, yet they were focusing on the needle, "You know you can trust me."

I do know I can trust her, but I was told not to tell anyone of my results.

I sharply inhaled and my breathing picked up, I gulped, "It was Dauntless," I lied. I'm a bad liar. And that's what makes me Candor.

I'm not just Candor. I'm Dauntless, Candor, Amity, Abnegation, and Erudite. Explicitly in that order. My test administrator told me my results and shoved me out the door before I could ask any questions.

"Tell me the truth," Tori hissed.

Can I trust her? Yes. Tori has been my best friend since I got my first tattoo at fourteen years old.

"I'm Dauntless," I paused and Tori quickly glanced at me, "And Candor, and Amity, and Abnegation, and Erudite," I said quickly. Tori's hand almost slipped, "Hey! Watch the tattoo!" I barked.