Chapter 5

(!Trigger Warning! mentions of blood and injuries may disturb some)

----

Tobias, Amar, and I made our way to the cafeteria to join the majority of Dauntless for lunch. The food that was served today was hamburgers, a true initiation welcome to Dauntless.

I sat down with Zeke, Uriah, Shauna, Lynn, Marlene, and Tobias. It took a while to get through the line. I grabbed a plain bun with a beef patty. Tomato, lettuce, and mayonnaise were added in too.

When I finally got back to the table, Amar was there too, talking to Tobias. He mentioned something about four fears and that immediately struck my interest.

"Who's got four fears?" I asked, sitting down and stealing a chip off of Zeke's plate.

"The Stiff," Lynn answered.

"Stiff doesn't feel very fitting," Marlene commented, stabbing her burger with a fork.

I raised my eyebrows questioningly at her as she proceeded to bite into the burger with it still on her fork.

"True," Amar said, scratching his beardless chin, "How about... Four?" Amar suggested.

"Four..." I tried it out, and a grin lit up on my face, "I like it."

"Four it is then," Amar said, beginning to walk away.

"Hold up, 'Mar!" I shouted, "We can just go off of if I like it or not, we need to see if he likes it," I turned to Tobias, "What d'you think of it?" I asked.

He nodded before saying, "I like it."

"Four it is," I said with a grin.

Amar smiled at us before walking over to Lauren. He was probably boasting about the fact that the first year he starts instructing alone, one of his initiates only has four fears. My thoughts were interrupted when I got a little nudge from Zeke.

"How many fears did you have?" he asked.

I thought for a moment. There's sexual intimacy, the middle of the ocean, big things - like phenomenally big things -, getting killed by a giant shark, and my father. I frowned, I thought I had more than that.

"What is it?" Shauna asked.

"I thought I had more," I said.

"How many do you have?" Uriah asked. I wanted to punch him. How dare he ask questions like that?

"Five," I said.

"What are they?" Lynn asked.

"Aren't you all inquisitive," I said, quickly coming up with lies both to make myself seem tougher and defend my father's honor, "Getting raped, being stranded in the middle of the ocean without a boat or anything to get out. Phenomenally big things, getting eaten by a mega-shark. And..."

I tried to think of a lie that would be just as hard as telling your friends that your dad cut you. I mean, there is the fake fear of killing my friends, but I wouldn't be afraid, I'd be guilty.

I inhaled sharply, "I-I can't bring myself to say the last one," I lied, I could, but I would get hurt more.

"It's ok," Tobias, Four, said reassuringly, smiling at me knowingly, "I think if it's bad enough for you to not be able to say it, then we should respect that."

"Cheers to the Stiff who can't bring himself to be selfish," Eric said, sitting right between Four and me, "Did you know that the letter 'V' means five in some old language spoken by some very old people?" he asked me.

"Did you know that if I punch you in the ribs with the correct amount of pressure it can puncture your lung leading you to need extreme medical help or you would possibly die?" I asked, not looking at him.