Chapter 2

Zinovia POV

Today is the day that I choose to become Dauntless. Not become Dauntless yet, but I'm gonna choose to try and become a Dauntless member.

The morning is a blur. I get out of bed and go to the bathroom before focusing on my appearance. I dress in a fitted black tank top with a leather jacket and shorts that show all my leg tattoos. It isn't long before Uriah and Zeke head to the Choosing Ceremony with Shauna and me and my parents. Lynn's coming too.

Once we reach the Hub, we shove through crowds of people to get to our spots quickly. Dauntless at heart as they say.

The ceremony began and Max was talking about the factions. I tuned out and looked around the auditorium. If I met someone's eyes I would send them a glare and a snarl. I wasn't in the mood to be nice.

"Hunt, Zinovia."

My heartbeat picked up as I stepped forward from my spot and walked towards the center of the room where I stood in the middle of the five bowls. Max smiled warmly at me. I smiled back. I wanted to snarl.

He handed me a knife and I took it with a slight nod. I gripped the knife in my left hand and sliced the knife through my right. I barely felt it. I stuck my hand out above the burning coals and blood dripped into the Dauntless bowl. The sound of sizzling liquid rang through the auditorium.

It felt like years before Max yelled out, "Dauntless!" and the Dauntless crowd stood and cheered. Some even yelled my name.

I smiled before walking to the Dauntless section and sitting right at the front. I tuned out once again, the only thing I registered was blood dripping down my arm. My left leg bounced up and down, a mind of its own.

It was a few minutes before a particular name caught my attention.

"Eaton, Tobias."

A tall, dark-haired boy from Abnegation walked forward hesitantly and stood in the middle of the room. His hands wringing in front of him nervously. I looked across the room to the Abnegation section to see Marcus Eaton sitting forward, watching his son intently. My attention went back to Tobias.

He now had the knife and his blood was dripping onto the floor. It took him a minute or two until his hand shot out over the burning coals. I was shocked. Dauntless rarely got Abnegation transfers. The guy must have a death wish.

Nevertheless, Tobias came and sat next to me, ripping off a piece of his undershirt and wrapping it around his hand. I was almost surprised that he didn't offer me one, but then again, he's leaving Abnegation, so the attitude needs to go too.

"I'm Zinovia, but you can call me Vi," I said, bumping his left shoulder with my right shoulder, where my angel halo sits.

"Tobias," he offered me his right hand and I simply slapped it like a high-five.

"I don't do handshakes," I said, he looked at me like he wanted an explanation, I was willing to give it to him, "My dominant hand is my left hand, makes things a little awkward."

"Oh," Tobias said before offering me his left hand instead. The one coated in blood and cloth.

I couldn't help but smile and shake his hand.

Tobias and I talked quietly throughout the rest of the Ceremony. I was surprised that a Stiff was able to deal with me. I'm kinda a handful.

()()()

When it was time to leave, I grabbed Tobias by his shirt and dragged him behind me until he started running. He's quite fast.

"Where are we going?" he yelled to me as we ran.