Chapter 126

Chapter 126 – Pigeon Post

“Silly child. Your grandfather is just going to bring medicine to my benefactor. I’m not going to fight in the war. What’s there to be worried about? Look at you. Crying. Your sister’s going to laugh at you!” Gu Xiao was reluctant to part with the two children as well. Thankfully, the sage apothecary was home to take care of them. The two children weren’t delicate either. He didn’t mind leaving them for a few days.

Gu Ye held in his feeling of reluctance and waved at his grandfather. “Grandfather, come back soon. Big brother and I will be waiting at home for you.”

Seeing his granddaughter’s cute smile and the reluctant look in his grandson’s eyes, Gu Xiao finally understood what it meant to feel reluctant to part with someone else. He had a family now too. He couldn’t be unruly like how he was in the past. No matter what happened, he needed to love himself. He couldn’t let the two children cry and feel bad for him.

After Gu Xiao left, Gu Ming felt a bit depressed. However, he followed his grandfather’s instructions and got out of bed before dawn to practice the fundamental skills. Then, he’d help his sister cook and go up the mountains to chop wood and hunt…

Gu Ye continued to learn how to make medicine with her master. The biggest bonus she obtained from this was mastering both this world and the previous world’s two types of medicine manufacturing. She was able to make a medicine pill that had the same effect as the drug itself. The heart-reliever pill that she created was actually better than the sage apothecary’s! He smiled and exclaimed that there’s nothing else he could teach her a year from now. Gu Ye knew that her master was just being humble. His medical skills were wide-ranging and profound. It was enough for her to learn for the next decade or so.

Besides learning how to manufacture and concoct medicine, Gu Ye also needed to take an hour out of her day each day to guide Zhang Lihu in rehabilitation. Since forty days after the surgery, she had a plan to help him in physical therapy and rehabilitation.

The process in rehabilitation was simple but painful. Whenever Zhang Lihu couldn’t persist anymore, Gu Ye would scare him. “If you don’t toughen up, the injury I’ve sewn together for you will end up being glued together and you’ll become a cripple!”

With the faith that he didn’t want to become a “cripple,” Zhang Lihu held in his pain and persevered with the pain that came along with the rehabilitation time after time. Whenever he finished with the session, he’d be welcomed with a body of cold sweat. It was unclear how much Zhang Lihu’s mother cried in secret. However, she still smiled and encouraged her son whenever she was in front of him. Even more, she’d cook the dishes his son liked as a reward.

It was sunny today. The gentle sunshine sprinkled across the courtyard which settled halfway up the mountain. A skinny young lady wearing rough cotton-padded clothes sat inside and tried her best to cut the medicinal ingredients. Her knife work was exquisite and she was able to cut the ingredients into equal pieces as if they were done from a machine.

Gu, gu… Gu, gu…. Suddenly a pigeon’s cry interrupted the silence in the courtyard. Gu Ye looked up to see gray chubby pigeons perched on the wall. She exclaimed happily, “Wild pigeon! I was worried that we wouldn’t have meat to eat today and ‘this pigeon soup’ kindly showed up in front of my door!”

She suddenly took out a slingshot and quickly pulled the rope, aiming it at the pigeon and preparing to shoot. At the same time, the sage apothecary heard some voices and saw his disciple’s action. Cold sweat drenched him. He hurriedly stopped her. “Don’t shoot, don’t shoot!”

Gu Ye maintained her position and turned around to look at her master confusedly. The sage apothecary lifted his hands gently and the pigeon flew and gently landed on his wrist.