50| Sweet like milkshake

Max
________________

The first thing that crosses my mind is Alyssa.

The next thing is shit.

His fist comes quick with razor-sharp precision. I stumble back, shaking off the sting as I face my opponent: Hayden. I throw a hit I think will land, but he sidesteps and ducks. His feet seem to float over the faded red canvas, weightless as he dodges me.

It's my fault, and hell if I don't know it. Ever since Alyssa came storming into my life, I've been slacking on training, but with my debut fight in just a few weeks, now is the time to focus. The trouble is, I'd have to forget about her to do it, and that's no easy feat.

His fist blurs through air in a sharp arc toward me, landing across my mouth. I stagger back before regaining composure, hands up and ready for the next. Still, despite my quick recovery, Hayden isn't impressed.

"Where's your head, O'Connor?" he says.

I spit out the blood in my mouth. "Gone."

He smirks like he knows what I mean. I throw a punch, but it sails right over his shoulder. "You," he says, pushing me back, "aren't training enough."

Don't I know it. Even now, I can't help but wonder how Alyssa is doing. We've spent every night together these past few days, but I know it must kill her being away from her family – not just her family, but her friends too.

I ignore the guilt and turn back to Hayden, landing a quick one-two. It catches his jaw, but he rolls with the punch and steps forward with a cross that knocks me for six. The truth is, I'm tired as hell and pretty much running on three hours of sleep, so this fight isn't one of my finest. With Alyssa's parents cutting her off, I've been picking up more delivery shifts, mostly late ones, so sleep is a thing of the past.

"You step into your fight like this, and you're going to get annihilated," Hayden says.

"No shit." I circle him again, allowing me a moment to regain my strength. If this were anyone else, they'd have put me on the floor by now, using my tiredness against me, but not him. Hayden likes to win when we're on an even keel, and right now, I'm barely standing.

"Take the day off," he says, about to take his gloves off, "get some rest. I can't fight you like this."

"I can't afford to lose my fight," I say, moving forward. "Keep your gloves on, Walker."

He barely has time to react before my next hit. With a quick pullback, he dodges the worst of my jab and swings but misses me completely. I dance toward him, light on my feet as I fake a right hook before landing an uppercut.

Adrenaline runs through me as he stumbles against the ropes. Standing in this ring is the only time life feels like it makes any sense, and I have to maintain that. If I don't, then what? I'll be stuck making deliveries for the rest of my life, living off takeout in this gym with Alyssa, who's sacrificed everything. Hell, if I let that happen.

"C'mon, what's on your mind, O'Connor?" Hayden asks. "You worried about Alyssa?"

I circle him again. While Hayden knows she's been staying in the office – he's the one who offered it – he doesn't know much else. "She shouldn't have to stay in that office."

His face falls. "Is the heating on the fritz again?"

"It's not that." I sigh and rub my head with my glove like it'll stave off the headache. "I just mean she should be at her own house. She shouldn't be arguing with her parents and living off takeout." I feel myself getting angrier by the second. "Her life has been turned upside and for what? For me?" It's a raw deal if I ever heard one.