Chapter Six

Wheelchairs are stupid, Mal thought as she struggled to turn the wheels on her chair. She'd finally been given leave to explore the castle she and Lady Steph were staying in—thankfully they were staying in a room on the ground floor.

Mal did not want to see what would happen if she tried to wheel herself down a flight of stairs. Oh sure the attendants were always super helpful but honestly Mal wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

You can't get something for nothing after all and the attendants never asked for anything in return for helping. Meaning they had to want something in return but they were just being shy about asking.

Or they'd be taking it no matter what.

I wish I had my sword, that way if any of those attendants tried anything I could defend myself, Mal thought with a small sigh as she finally got the wheels moving. The blasted thing was not made for someone with short arms—and it was a good thing Uma wasn't there otherwise Mal knew that she would never hear the end of it. How do they handle it being so bright around here? It's honestly insane.

She was just counting her blessings that she managed to make it outside but found that there really wasn't much she could do while in her chair.

"Hiya!"

"Oh...hi Benny," Mal said as Ben walked up to her, his usual face splitting smile on his lips. "What are you doing?"

"Maman and papa are in a meeting with Emir and Akiho's mamas and papas so I thought I'd come introduce you," Ben said.

"Who?"

"Emir and Akiho! They're two of my best friends!" Ben said as he went behind the chair and then paused. "Do you...do you want me to push you? I know Elle doesn't like it when people do unless they ask but Chip says you shouldn't ask because it's rude and that it should be the person in the chair who gets to ask to be pushed."

Mal shrugged. "Whatever you want to do Benny."

Honestly him pushing me would be a lot more comfortable than trying to turn the wheels myself, she thought but wouldn't say it out loud. No sense in revealing more of a weakness than what was obvious.

"But...it's your chair. You should be the one to make the choice," Ben said and then seemed to brighten up as an idea came to him. "Wait a minute! Instead of taking you to Emir and Akiho since I don't know how your chair would do on the grass...I'll bring Emir and Akiho to you!"

"Wha—?"

Before Mal could finish her question, Ben had run off leaving one very confused Fae alone by herself. However it wasn't long before Ben returned; two other boys joining him. Well it was more like Ben had dragged the other two boys by the arms but they didn't seem like they were about to complain.

"Mal, this is Emir and Akiho. Emir, Akiho, this is Mal," Ben said with a grin. "She likes dragons too!"

"No fair!" One of the boys said, his blond hair flopping in his face. "What if she likes reindeer too? Have you asked her that Ben?"

"...what are reindeer?" Mal asked.

The boy gasped, causing the other boy to shake his head; his raven hair flopping into his eyes. "Akiho, relax. I'm sure you'll be able to talk Mal's ear off about reindeers at Ben's party."

"Oh good," Akiho grinned. "And I know you're going to lie about tigers being better Emir so I need to beat you to the punch."

Ben chuckled and then paused. "Oh right! I knew I forgot something! Be right back!"